Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 hours ago, heartless said:

i got disgusted with ebay years ago.. walked away and never looked back, and it has just gotten worse & worse since.. i don't buy anything there if I can help it. Sure, i might pay a little more, but buying from trusted sources is worth it to me. I buy it once, and done - not buying the super cheap, finding out it is junk, and having to buy again. I don't have time for that game.

there has been a lot of "fake" stuff showing up there recently (as in the last year, maybe two) - do a quick search on the subject - fake batteries (the 18650 type), fake spark plugs (there is a thread here about that) and other items, too. If the price is "too good to be true" it probably is a fake.

Ebay sellers are sometimes people just like me who sell a few things that they have laying around, and then there are big businesses.  I like to buy from ordinary people if possible.  You can tell by their feedback if they are somebody to avoid.  The biggest problem I have with that is poor packing.  Bought a set of gage pins this year and they packed it with no padding and the box was bent.  I have bought 2 side mirrors for the Subaru from junk yards through Ebay this year.  Both were good, and saved me time slogging around in mud.  I know that there is a lot of fake stuff.  If you buy batteries for cell phones or UPS units there are lots of fake ones.  I'm not sure there is such a thing as a genuine cell phone battery.  The worst dealers I ran into were book sellers when I was trying to buy textbooks for my daughter.  You can't contact them, and you have no idea where they even are.

I think I'm OK with this pipe but will see in a day or two.  Got 2 parts from Rockauto and a couple parts are coming from the Subaru dealer.  Lots of time to do this job.

2 hours ago, LeolaPA said:

Ebay sellers are sometimes people just like me who sell a few things that they have laying around, and then there are big businesses.  I like to buy from ordinary people if possible.  You can tell by their feedback if they are somebody to avoid.  The biggest problem I have with that is poor packing.  Bought a set of gage pins this year and they packed it with no padding and the box was bent.  I have bought 2 side mirrors for the Subaru from junk yards through Ebay this year.  Both were good, and saved me time slogging around in mud.  I know that there is a lot of fake stuff.  If you buy batteries for cell phones or UPS units there are lots of fake ones.  I'm not sure there is such a thing as a genuine cell phone battery.  The worst dealers I ran into were book sellers when I was trying to buy textbooks for my daughter.  You can't contact them, and you have no idea where they even are.

I think I'm OK with this pipe but will see in a day or two.  Got 2 parts from Rockauto and a couple parts are coming from the Subaru dealer.  Lots of time to do this job.

Yep yep. eBay requires a learning curve.

eBay is a great tool in the tool box if you’ve got the patience to navigate it. But I can understand not wanting too. There’s lots of problems with eBay. 

It’s just an online flea market where you should have no assumed value in buying from eBay. The act of buying from eBay affords almost no quality control or vetting at all.  Verify the part and seller and if there’s any question, move on.   Or yeah just avoid it. 

i used to buy & sell stuff on ebay regularly some years ago.. i forget what set me off on them, been too long ago now, but I am fine not using them.

The other half shops on there all the time. If I really REALLY need to get something from ebay, i get him to do it, LOL. fewer headaches for me. :D

11 hours ago, heartless said:

i used to buy & sell stuff on ebay regularly some years ago.. i forget what set me off on them, been too long ago now, but I am fine not using them.

Anyone that’s used it knows exactly what you mean! Bad descriptions.  Generic photos.  Wrong years/models/interchanges listed. Convoluted or unhelpful reviews and shipping information. Declining seller protections, shady people returning things on your time/dime....

• Like 1

OK, today was the day.  I got the part and it was the exact part that was ordered, and it was Subaru genuine.  Also the top solenoid came in from Rockauto, plus I bought some hardware and hose.

I don't remember if we discussed putting in one end or the other first, but I first tried to put the tank end into the rubber hose, and found that I had to scrape undercoating off to get the outside end in place.  With some mallet help, I got that out, and then the hose end popped out!  So I went back and did it reverse order.  I was worried about getting the pipe end into the hose but the hose was soft enough and I did use the WD40 trick, so it went in OK.  The middle bracket that mounts to the inner fender was something I had to work around.  I did get it in place and got everything back together.  It took much more time and was much more of a hassle than I expected, but I got it done.

I had ordered a new hose to connect to the tank, but I found out from the today that the rear differential has to be dropped to get the tank out, and I didn't see any way to get to that hose clamp, so I didn't use the hose I bought.

The reason the pipe is black is because I painted it with Rustoleum before installing it.  I figured it would help this one last until the car is end of life anyway. 

You can see my side by side photo....

Thanks for all the help and good advice.

filler smaller.jpg

• Like 1