Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On my 07 Outback, EJ25 NON turbo I had to remove the engine with the torque convertor as the motor was seized. I got a different motor finally, and am now trying to re install the torque convertor. I know the correct depth that it needs to go in but cant seem to achieve this.  The torque convertor spins freely in both directions and still need to go in  another 2 or 3 inches. I tried for an hour to spin and push.  Some sites say it will go in three different stages.  I  also saw a video online and am now wondering if I need to take out the outer shaft from the tranny (seems to be about a foot long) and put in on torque convertor with its C clip and try this again. I am confused and very frustrated. Not sure what to do.  Thanks in advance for any advise or links. 

I have had the same problem. If I remember correctly that tube drives the pump and should stay in the transmission. I think there is a clip that can cause a problem if you pull it.

Most of the ones I did pop in after a few turns. I had one that I put a little grease on the part in the center that goes into the crankshaft and used my finger under it to lift and lower it as I turned it. Finally it went in.

A big hammer is tempting, but it will just mess things up.

OK. So Have raised the tranny 3 inches up from the cross member.  I think this will help. I am now waiting for a input shaft seal, as I just noticed mine is bit damaged. I may have done that while inserting and removing torque convertor 10 times.  I will get seal in a day or two and thanks again for the advise.