Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear wheel brake cylinders

I need to replace the rear brake cylinders on my 1987 4wd wagon. Sounds like one or both are dragging. Can't find anything online that says specifically for 4wd wagon, only sedan. Will the sedan cylinders  work? I hate to have to take it apart to get a part number until I have the right cylinders to replace them with.

I am pretty sure - for wagons only - 86 through 94 are the same.  Drum brakes, rear, 4wd vs fwd no difference.   Somewhere before 86, they were not auto adjusting, but the difference a hole in the shoes, and a couple of other parts.  I never compared the cylinders. 

Edited by DaveT

Looking online for compatibility, one seller indicated that the Dorman #W37418 was not compatible for my rig. I called and talked to a Dorman rep and he assured me that these are the proper replacement rear wheel cylinders for my 4wd wagon. I took a chance and bought 2 online. They are 3/4" bore and are not side specific  One of the things I noticed when looking at pictures online was that some had 2 studs and nuts to hold the cylinder to the backing plate while others had 2 bolts. I crawled under my rig and found that mine has 2 bolts. So there's still the question as to whether the cylinders with the 2 studs and nuts would work as long as it had the 3/4"' bore and wasn't side specific since they otherwise look the same, at least in the pictures. So next week when it warms up around here I'll take thing apart.