Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 4wd loyale rear alignment, 3 different shops tried, no luck

I need help with my rear wheel alignment on my 91 4wd loyale. I've taken it to 3 different shops that couldn't figure it out. First shop said it couldn't be done. Next shop pushed it way out, so it looked like an old vw bug, then couldn't figure out how to get it back in. The third shop was able to get it close to where it need to be (see pic) but not all the way. I found a page from the FSM that explains it, but I was wondering if there are any tips/tricks I can tell them?

89983833_10222826893400481_2213058268077490176_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Here it is -

Thanks. I read through your write up but I don't think it's a toe issue. 

If you look at my tire it looks just like the wear from a camber issue. How would i fix a camber angle problem?

tirewear.png

How-CasterAngle.gif

The ride height might mess with that some.  In your pic of the wheel, it looks like it's leaning in at the top, that's opposite of where mine are, unless I have a really heavy load of stuff in the back.  [I have mine set on the highest notch on the rear shocks]  Worth checking the bushings too.  The big tube that all the rear suspension bolts to - make sure it's not rotted out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

The ride height might mess with that some.  In your pic of the wheel, it looks like it's leaning in at the top, that's opposite of where mine are, unless I have a really heavy load of stuff in the back.  [I have mine set on the highest notch on the rear shocks]  Worth checking the bushings too.  The big tube that all the rear suspension bolts to - make sure it's not rotted out.

It does tilt in at the top.

When I first got it the rear wheels didn't stick out like this at all. The first shop said they were a little out of alignment but they couldn't be adjusted. The second shop pulled the drivers side tire way out (so it looked like an old vw bug) then told me they couldn't figure out how to get it back in. The third shop was able to pull it back in a bit, but not enough. What are they not doing? I can't have this thing eat tires like this.

I can tell you what they ARE doing: loosening the three bolts on the outer swing arm to make adjustments. 

These three bolts are set from factory or the dealer as part of the final inspection and are deemed “unadjustable”. 

You need a shop that can look at toe, camber and castor as one setting - those three bolts do all of that for the rear end - it all depends on how they move the hub part of the swing arm in relation to the front section of the swing arm with the three bolts. 

Tiny movement/changes at the two halves of the outer swing arm make big changes at the top, bottom, front and rear of the tyre. 

It’s not an easy adjustment to get right - and access to those bolts is limited. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 86 FSM shows the toe and camber adjustments using the 3 bolts.  They do interact.  I got lucky when I corrected the toe on mine, didn't have to fight with a bunch of interaction.  Yes, they don't move much, but apparently, they have a noticeable effect.   With them as far out as you have, you don't have much to loose trying to adjust them.  They are a pain, you have to pull the tire off to really get at them.

At least get the bolts freed and anti siezed , then start trying to get the angles set.  

I can try to scan the page tomorrow.

The bolts are in a larger hole and the thickness of the bolt thread. 

So the hub can effectively move closer to, or away from the swing arm mount a few mm. And by raising the bolts relative to their holes, it twists/rotated the hub face so the tyre can have loads of positive or negative camber. 

I hope this helps Jono!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2