Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building a outback pickup for off road

Fish-N-Fool

I want to build a Legacy outback pickup out of my 1997 outback wagon it has the 2.2 motor and I want to put in the old DR 5 speed out of a gl and top it off with a 2 or 3 inch lift and dual stack exghast.

The 2 things I'm not sure about, in the trans swap are all the axles the same and I have heard the trans for the EA82 were shorter can you use the EA82 driveline?

What about the rear axle ratio for a 5 speed trans are they all the same between the EJ and EA? I want to be able to tow and launch my small boat without burning the clutch up like it does now

This is kind of what I'm going for.  I thought of doing the reverse of this and putting a 2.2 L motor in a Loyale with the same body mods. But I would like the cruise  and some of the other features you don't find on most older Subaru's and from what i have heard the wiring for this swap is a real pain. I included a drawing of a Loyale with the same mod. Which one do you like better?686001663_subeepickup.jpg.f14a61a97d02bcb1f624283af7bdc53c.jpg

subbe big.JPG

Edited by Fish-N-Fool
  • Like 1

Depends on which transmission you'll use. But almost all the EA82 DR transmissions are from non-turbo cars, and are 23 spline front axle stubs. The only 23 spline front EJ axles are '93-'94 FWD 5MT Imprezas. You can put 25 spline stubs in there, but you have to split the transmission. RX Turbos had 25 spline stubs, but they only have 1.19 (vs 1.59) low range.

Yes, transmission is a different length. Wheelbase is different. AFAIK, a custom length driveshaft will be needed.

EA82 DR transmissions will require swapping to a 3.9 or 3.7 rear diff, depending which trans you use.

IMO, you're hacking up what little creature comforts give the BG platform an edge over the EA82. The EA82 platform is lighter, and simpler. Front axles will be simple, driveshaft is simple. FWD sucks more with the EA82 geometry than EJ, so if you want any sort of pavement performance, go EJ (and AWD). Unless you're launching an inflatable boat, you'll be abusing your clutch with any Subaru manual transmission.

Part of me has always liked the Ute versions of the wagons, seeing the new Smyth kits makes me actually want a GG Impreza! I have to say, if one of those ended up in my possession, the exhaust stacks would be in the scrap heap SO fast....but each to their own.

The stock awd in my 97 is crap, so why would i want to keep it??????? It burns the clutch even in deep snow it is so high geared. I had a 93 loyale with a DR trans I installed in it and it worked great for towing my boat other than it was underpowered. But it would launch it anywhere in low range.

The AWD is crap? Because a functioning VLSD center does surprisingly well offroad. Or you just mean you don't like the gearing in your AWD transmission. I'm just saying you are trading off the gearing for AWD. I drove an EJ-swapped EA82 with stock size tires and a PT4WD transmission for awhile, and HATED it in FWD. It would roast a front tire when you even looked at the throttle, so I was constantly putting it in and out of 4WD when accelerating or turning. Big tires helps, but the stock EA82 geometry is not condusive to traction.

I'm pretty apathetic towards the Subaru dual-ranges. It's just not enough. I started building an AWD, 4.444, 1.59 transmission, but got stuck when the Carbonetic front LSD wouldn't clear the low range gears. Since then I've spent more time in vehicles with real gearing (my 4runner with 2.28 low and a torque converter, or a built Toyota manual with 5.29 axles, and double transfer cases with 2.28 and 4.7), and it just doesn't seem worth it.