Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts swapping between a 83 wagon and a 91 Brat

20 hours ago, el_freddo said:

If imported from the US I highly doubt it’ll be a dual range. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Indeed, Yesterday I checked...not a dual Range :( 

Engine ran unstable, but didn´t smoke. I didn´t rush into buying the car because of the lack of dual range, but still thinking about it.

The engine is supposed to come from a 99 Legacy.

Is there any special advice of what I should check in this particular engine?

Saludos!

Rafael

Today I Finished Installing the PS. Perfect Fit in al but the exhaust, that has been beaten quite good, meaning one of the tubes of the manifold touches a Ps hydraulic line. That may hurry my exhaust upgrade...

also installed LED headlights. The difference is quite remarkable. I won’t be driving in the shadows anymore.

Saludos!!

Rafa

• 2 weeks later...

What LED lamps did you install? I am looking into better lighting for my 87 Brat. Right now, I have Hella conversions, but these are halogens. I am sure if I give them adequate power via dedicated relays, I can get them to do better. The low/high uses a H4 lamp and the high, an H1. However, reasonable and good quality LED's that don't blind oncoming driver's are preferable.

Hella Hi/Low with H4 bulb

Hella Hi with H1 bulbs

Hello aba4430

I used Chinese leds , they are 5500 lumen. Don’t remember the brand. 
my brat has single headlights, meaning H4 for high/low
I tried standing in front of my truck about 50 mts away in the night, to simulate an oncoming car... to me they are just a bit more than the lights of a newer car....just in the limit. In high beam the oncoming drivers will be undoubtedly blinded.

there are also 3600 lumen Leds. Haven’t tried those though.

saludos!

Rafa

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all, 

Finally got my rebuilt steering rack last Wednesday, mounted and...No leaks! (I started a new thread with my steering issues)

Finding all the seals was a nightmare down here. 
yesterday I drove from my shop to home on the brat (About 120 km) and undoubtedly I have many alignment Issues. Will try to fix (or improve) them at home today. It’s a shame all the alignment shops are closed due to the COvid contingency.

I’ll also drop a set of 14” I bought yesterday. Will post some pictures for opinions

• 3 weeks later...

Just found a complete EA 82 4x4 dual range kit (Gearbox + Driveshaft + complete rear Axle with 3,9 diff. (4 x 140 hubs) from a Loyale. Looks I am getting an extra gear!!!

Just 2 questions arose:

Does this gearbox hast the same splines for the front cv joints as my original one?

Do I have to make a special adapter (or something like that) to engage this gearbox to my EA 81 Engine?

Thanks i advance for your advice!!

Saludos,

Rafa

Gearbox will bolt directly up, clutch is the tricky bit. If you are lucky and have the larger 8" flywheel, your life is easy, a little machining on the flywheel and you can use the complete EA82 clutch kit. Other options are doing dodgey crap or re-drilling the EA82 flywheel to get it to work or a mix and match clutch kit.

Standard EA81 shafts will slip in and fit no problem.

Pretty sure by memory I used the 5 speed manual shifter and grafted the 4 speed high/low range selector to the 5 speed gearbox so I didn't have to cut any holes in the floor and be able to use the standard EA81 interior trim.

Custom make some rear gearbox mounts, not difficult to do. Tail shaft will need something made for the center bearing to be mounted to or go to the expense of modifying the one piece tailshaft. Far cheaper and easier to make a mount for the center bearing.

Starter motor will need to be spaced out approx. 4mm, can either make a complete spacer plate out of aluminium or just gap it out with a washer or two.

I know I modified my pedal box for the clutch cable but I think that is only a RHD thing.

Cheers,

Al

On 6/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, Rafavidmess said:

Does this gearbox hast the same splines for the front cv joints as my original one?

If it’s from a carby fed EA82, yes, it’ll be 23 spline and fit the EA81 shafts. If MPFI EA82 (fuel injected) then no, it’ll have the larger “EJ sized” 25 spline diff stubs. 

Cheers 

Bennie

3 hours ago, el_freddo said:

If it’s from a carby fed EA82, yes, it’ll be 23 spline and fit the EA81 shafts. If MPFI EA82 (fuel injected) then no, it’ll have the larger “EJ sized” 25 spline diff stubs. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank You Bennie!

Already bought it, Including Driveshaft, rear Diff (3.900), cv´s and, the whole rear susp and gear levers. I should have it by Thursday or Friday...the  I will know

Saludos,

Rafa

• Like 1

You'll need to lengthen the arm on the EA81 clutch pedal to fully disengage the clutch.  This doesn't get mentioned often, I hope I'm not an outlier in this, but after several years I began having trouble with shifting.  I replaced the worn clevis pin on the clutch cable with no change.  I ended up holding an EA81 and EA82 clutch pedal side-by-side and while they're very similar, the later pedal has a longer arm attached to the cable, hence, more "pull."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Zhiemer said:

Gearbox will bolt directly up, clutch is the tricky bit. If you are lucky and have the larger 8" flywheel, your life is easy, a little machining on the flywheel and you can use the complete EA82 clutch kit. Other options are doing dodgey crap or re-drilling the EA82 flywheel to get it to work or a mix and match clutch kit.

Standard EA81 shafts will slip in and fit no problem.

Pretty sure by memory I used the 5 speed manual shifter and grafted the 4 speed high/low range selector to the 5 speed gearbox so I didn't have to cut any holes in the floor and be able to use the standard EA81 interior trim.

Custom make some rear gearbox mounts, not difficult to do. Tail shaft will need something made for the center bearing to be mounted to or go to the expense of modifying the one piece tailshaft. Far cheaper and easier to make a mount for the center bearing.

Starter motor will need to be spaced out approx. 4mm, can either make a complete spacer plate out of aluminium or just gap it out with a washer or two.

I know I modified my pedal box for the clutch cable but I think that is only a RHD thing.

Cheers,

Al

Thanks Al!,

I will go for the instalation of the 2 pieces Tailshaft. I am starting some work to eliminate rust spots, so I don´t think it will be too difficult to add some stuff for the Central Bearing.

Saludos,

Rafa

Yes, I did forget to mention about the clutch pedal thing.

I've noticed here in Aus there seems to be at least 2 different styles of pedal boxes in the EA81 series cars, with possibly even a third different style as well but I can't remember which vehicle I removed it from now. I think in the end, it was an easy job to cut out the old EA81 clutch pedal and graft on the new EA82 clutch pedal but in saying that, I did notice on a couple of the other pedal boxes I had, this wouldn't have been such an easy task.

Cheers,

Al

18 hours ago, Al Zhiemer said:

Yes, I did forget to mention about the clutch pedal thing.

I've noticed here in Aus there seems to be at least 2 different styles of pedal boxes in the EA81 series cars, with possibly even a third different style as well but I can't remember which vehicle I removed it from now. I think in the end, it was an easy job to cut out the old EA81 clutch pedal and graft on the new EA82 clutch pedal.

I've still got photos on my Photobucket account, and I created a thread here, IIRC.  Found it: 

• 10 months later...

Hello Guys,

More than a year without writing.

Just to let you know I am still alive, bought a 1990 Legacy 2.2 MPFI auto as a donor car. Initially thought only for the engine.

Just wondering if I will install the 5 Speed Manual +dual I got last year or go all the way with the auto trans that came with the Legacy.

Saludos!

Rafael

On 5/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, Rafavidmess said:

Hello Guys,

More than a year without writing.

Just to let you know I am still alive, bought a 1990 Legacy 2.2 MPFI auto as a donor car. Initially thought only for the engine.

Just wondering if I will install the 5 Speed Manual +dual I got last year or go all the way with the auto trans that came with the Legacy.

Saludos!

Rafael

If you have a 5 speed d/r why even mess with the auto! All you have to do is get the flywheel drilled and get the adapter. Also helps with axles, with the auto you will need to make "custom" axles. NA EAs are 23 spline, and EJ is 25.

16 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

NA EAs are 23 spline, and EJ is 25.

I think you’ll find the Gen1 and possibly Gen2 autos are still 23 spline diff stubs. 

The issue will be fitting the auto in the brat’s trans tunnel. I reckon it’ll be too big if not lifted. I could be wrong though. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, Ionstorm66 said:

If you have a 5 speed d/r why even mess with the auto! All you have to do is get the flywheel drilled and get the adapter. Also helps with axles, with the auto you will need to make "custom" axles. NA EAs are 23 spline, and EJ is 25.

Thank you @ionstorm66 and Bennie,

I will go for the 5 speed d/r. I don’t want to lift my brat nor cut the floor. Starting today!

More Questions:

Any advice to buy an adapter plate? 

Does my EA 82 Clutch will fit the Loyale Gearbox?…advices on this subject will also be thanked.

saludos!

Rafael

On 6/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, Rafavidmess said:

Thank you @ionstorm66 and Bennie,

I will go for the 5 speed d/r. I don’t want to lift my brat nor cut the floor. Starting today!

More Questions:

Any advice to buy an adapter plate? 

Does my EA 82 Clutch will fit the Loyale Gearbox?…advices on this subject will also be thanked.

saludos!

Rafael

Loyales are ea82s so it will fit :). You have to drill out the ea82 flywheel to bolt up to the EJ crank. You can get the measurements off the internet. I just took a junk EJ crank and cut the end off. Brought the end and the flywheel to a machine shop.

• 5 months later...

Hi to all…

Finally dropped my EJ22 + GL 5s dr gearbox into my MV.

it’s tight, but fits perfectly as you told me. I have to deal now with the gearbox mount.

do you have any pictures of your custom made ones…just to save time and mistakes.

I would really like to keep my ea trim as stock as possible. I know Bennie succeeded in this before…..

Greetings from chile

Saludos!

Rafa