Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still hunting the front end shake and lost as to where to go.

• 3 weeks later...

well i ordered a arm bushings and 2 days later the passenger caliper seized. ended up having to remove it to get home on 3 brakes. guess what happened after taking the caliper of ..... im not gonna make ya guess. the shake virtually disappeared. there is still a light shaking at highway speeds but the obnoxious shake is gone. im guessing the used caliper i put on was sticking lightly for a bit and then decided to stick on completely the other day.

16 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

It probably warped the brake rotor as well.

interestingly i dont think it has. i put the old caliper back on that was leaking whent he brake pads got low. it has new pads on it now and that caliper doesent leak with new pads under it. it does not seem to shake when pressing the brakes so i may have gotten lucky with that. and yes i have ordered caliper rebuild kits so it wont stay like that for long and i should have the calipers rebuilt before the pads wear enough for it to start leaking.

Make sure you grease the slide pins too. Clean out their guide holes before reassembly. Usually crusty old grease can cause a sticky guide resulting in brake shudder - but usually only under braking conditions. 

Glad to see you’re on the path to remedy the issue!

Cheers 

Bennie

getting closer. today i changed both rear a arm bushings and the passenger lower ball joint. the drivers side the bolt was going to snap and i dont have the drill bits for that now so i left it for now. the car now drives dead smooth from 0 up to around 65 or 70 and then it starts to develop a slight shake in the wheel from there on. could this just be from the last ball joint thats left or is it a sign theres more still wrong beyond that.