Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 opps 1998 2.2 imprezza timing belt install?

So....water pump  leaking. replaced that and all the front seals and a 2000 belt as someone put in the newer tensioner making the 96 belt too short .. . Lined everything up and ...nada won't start .first try the belt marks were not lined up perfect .the three hash marks were...so i changed that so all hash marks and the belt marks were all lined up .....still no go..close but we all know that doesn't count....... its.trying to fire up..now the battery went dead so its charging up ..any thoughts ?? Thank you ......so  whats up with the belt marks..the old belt didn't have any ??

<edited out incorrect info - phase 1 and phase 2 cam belts are different lengths>

Changing of the tensioner isn’t an issue. 

Make sure you’re using the little line/dash on the front outer edge of the cam wheels and not the arrow on one of the spokes. 

The marker for the crank is on the back of the crank cam wheel, it lines up with a mark on the crank angle sensor mount. Make sure this is lined up correctly when checking the cam positions. 

Check that the crank and cam sensors are still fitted properly.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
Correcting info

^+1

It's not the belt, if the timing is correct, something is disconnected.

In addition to sensors, check the IAC hose, (the 1" dia. one) that goes to the throttle body. If that is not connected it won't start either.

O.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, TimothyFinn said:

So....water pump  leaking. replaced that and all the front seals and a 2000 belt as someone put in the newer tensioner making the 96 belt too short .. . Lined everything up and ...nada won't start .first try the belt marks were not lined up perfect .the three hash marks were...so i changed that so all hash marks and the belt marks were all lined up .....still no go..close but we all know that doesn't count....... its.trying to fire up..now the battery went dead so its charging up ..any thoughts ?? Thank you ......so  whats up with the belt marks..the old belt didn't have any ??

*** You have the wrong belt, a 2000 won't work. You need to buy a belt for the year of the engine you own and ignore the tensioner. 

96, 98, and 2000 are mentioned, yet we don't know what engine or vehicle you're working on?  If it's a 1998 then there's significant risk of bent valves.

The tensioner has no bearing on which timing belt you choose. 1996 with old style tensioner and a 1998 with new style tensioner uses the same timing belt. The old and new style tensioners, with their accompanying bracket, are interchangeable.

Make sure you're using the correct timing marks, it's not uncommon to use the wrong ones. 

Edited by idosubaru

(Edit) There are two belt types, and two SOHC sizes.

DOHC = double overhead cams 

and 

SOHC =,single overhead cams (shorter belt than the DOHC)

It does not matter what year your EJ engine is - the belt requirement depends on whether it’s DOHC or SOHC. Tensioner type doesn’t matter! 

Both systems have a tensioner, two smooth idlers and one cogged idler. Later DOHC’s have a small smooth idler between the tensioner and the intake cam wheel. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

THERE IS ONLY TWO BELT TYPES!!!

DOHC = double overhead cams 

and 

SOHC =,single overhead cams (shorter belt than the DOHC)

USDM SOHC EJ22's there is (my tooth count could be off, but they're different):

1. 99-01 223 tooth belt, same as Phase II EJ25. 

and

2. 1998 and earlier 211 tooth belt

If hes using a 2000 belt on a 96 engine as his post says then he's using the wrong SOHC belt

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 2:35 AM, idosubaru said:

USDM SOHC EJ22's there is (my tooth count could be off, but they're different):

1. 99-01 223 tooth belt, same as Phase II EJ25. 

and

2. 1998 and earlier 211 tooth belt

If hes using a 2000 belt on a 96 engine as his post says then he's using the wrong SOHC belt

I stand corrected - I counted both belt types (phase 1 and phase 2 SOHC) as I just pulled an EJ22 down yesterday. 

I was very surprised to see the size difference. And I got the same tooth count as you.  

Above post edited to stop miss information. 

Cheers 

Bennie