Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is no DRAIN hole for this area once the oil filter is replaced. The last time the filter was replaced, I'll bet they never wiped the area clean before they screwed on the new filter.

Just wipe it clean and see if the oil returns. I suspect it will not as IF there was a leak, this small area FILLS and flows over the side really making a MESS.

And YES this is the FA/FB engine that replaced the long running EA series. I DO prefer this as if you let it sit for 3-4 hours ( overnight ) the filter comes off with NO OIL MESS. And with a Fumoto valve, and oil change is now under 10 minutes with no mess, Open Fumoto, while draining, replace filter on the top, Close Fumoto ( synthetic 'water' ( 0W-20 ) drains very quickly ). Fill oil ..... DONE. Move old oil to container and take to service station on the corner. 2 FB20s currently in the stable.

With 1 EA25 left in the family ( daughter's 2011 Outback ) I still need an old coffee cup to cleanly grasp and remove the old oil filter after I loosen it. This was the cleanest way I ever came up with for all the EA engines I owned since MY90 Legacy LS wagon EA22. Owned the first year for EA in the US, and ALMOST the last. 2012 for Outback/Legacy. Still continued for WRX/STI a few year after that.

Edited by Ferret54

6 hours ago, Ferret54 said:

With 1 EA25 left in the family ( daughter's 2011 Outback ) I still need an old coffee cup to cleanly grasp and remove the old oil filter after I loosen it. This was the cleanest way I ever came up with for all the EA engines I owned since MY90 Legacy LS wagon EA22. Owned the first year for EA in the US, and ALMOST the last. 2012 for Outback/Legacy. Still continued for WRX/STI a few year after that.

Good tip!

21 hours ago, el_freddo said:

@Ferret54 - EJ engine. EA was L series and MY prior to the EJ series engine beginning in ’89 ;)  

Yes Thank you , I stand corrected .... early morning my mind has 'piston slap'   LOL

And I have owned 3 EA's from 1979 thru 1985, Oil LEAKS GALORE..... but cars ALWAYS STARTED and got me thru bad weather in the Poconos

• Like 1
  • Haha 1