Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Side Project Question

A side project I have on the go at the moment is building a trailer.

I was given a trailer tent that suits a 2130mm X 1220mm (7ft X 4 ft) trailer, my plan is to build a trailer out of a L series rear suubframe I have laying around. I like the idea of using this for several reasons...

A - Stud patterns are the same.

B - Wheel track is simular to the Brumby.

C - Build it light weight  and to suit my specific needs/requirements.

D - Independant suspension.

E - Gets a bit more crap out of my shed that I've been keeping for some unknown reason.

F - Because I enjoy stuffing around doing this sort of crap LOL

The general plan for the build is in place, there are a few points to still workout, like an electric brake conversion but I think I've got that sorted now. Now I guess my question is, keeping in mind I will be keeping the L series rear coilover strut set up, do you think the suspension will be capable of supporting a trailer with a maximum load rating of 750 kgs (1650lbs)? Not that I think it will ever get anywhere near that weight but thats my maximum weight limit goal.

Regards

Al

That rear end will take it. Just make the upper support for the shock/strut strong enough for the job. 

If the factory springs don’t handle the weight you want, use a set of front Honda springs from an early 90’s vehicle. 

But without a body, rear diff, glass etc to support, the factory springs should be good to go. 

I made a trailer from an MY wagon rear end. Ran without shocks for years, not ideal at the traffic light where it took ages to sit still but it tracked awesome at speed around corners loaded or unladen. 

It’s now got a set of new shocks on it and the thing is perfect bar the rust in the old Nissan single cab tray tub I’ve got welded on top. It’s carry so much more than it ever should time and time again. 

p4060081.jpg 

p6070108hothopen.jpg 

iqSQHQ.jpg

Go for it, you won’t regret it! 

Cheers 

Bennie