Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Impreza OBS- source of oil leak

I’m trying to chase down the oil leak on the EJ253 in my ‘05 Outback Sport. When I bought it last year, I assume the headgasket is leaking, especially since EJ253’s tend to seep oil from the headgaskets. I’ve noticed the oil has been running down the side of the oil filter closest to the oil pan (away from the headgasket). 

I changed the oil and filter last week and cleaned everything off down there. The filter is good and tight. I only drove it a couple of miles and let it sit a week and can see the oil on the one side of the filter (please see the attached pic).

Im mainly trying to decide if the headgasket is failing or is the oil coming from somewhere else (it doesn’t appear to be coming from that area). It appears to be coming from between that big plug in the bottom of the block and the oil  filter.

CDFD5070-8E7C-450C-8139-F458ED0247CC.jpeg

Headgasket.

Rather than where the oil ends up - Post a picture of the source of the oil leak and the HG mating surface area or larger area in general. 

I don’t think that has an oil cooler but if it did, those leak at the oil filter to engine gasket. Replace oil cooler gasket seal.  $5 and 30 minutes. But I don’t think that car has one. 

No I don’t see where there is an oil cooler on this one. I had cleaned off the honk on the bottom of the engine including around the headgaskets. I don’t see any new signs of seepage from them at this point (not really driven since It was cleaned up) and don’t see any fresh oil seeping from around the head area since the oil change 

A lot of leaks can end up there. Front main, oil pump. Even oil pressure switch can drip down the front of the motor and get blown back to the filter.

The oil from a head gasket leak seems to frequently blow backwards as you drive and then drip off the engine crossmember/steering rack/sway bar more than straight down onto the oil filter. But that's a pretty blanket statement.

different color fluid but directly above the filter is the power steering pump which was leaking on my 05 OB You should see it collect in the recesses on top of engine.

once that fluid is exposed to road dirt and such it can appear just as messy as in your picture.

also look on top of the engine on passenger side in the recesses. I recently developed a HG leak on top towards the rear where an oil galley can leak through a failed HG but as Numbchux said, you would expect that oil to blow backwards.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

You’ll probably need to run it to see if it’s still leaking. 

or check the items mentioned above for signs of front engine seals of OP switch. 

I didn’t think it had an oil cooler but just checking. with engine swaps frequently in those years due to HGs and people just adding them, it wouldnt be a surprise to have one.

Oil filters leak if the oil filter seal is compromised or double stacked because the previous one stuck to the engine and wasn’t noticed before the new oil filter was installed. 

Edited by idosubaru

It’s a brand new filter and one one did the same thing. I’d see a bit of oily residue under the timing cover so a leaking seal is a possibility. A complete timing belt job is due, so aId rather it be that than headgaskets.

run your finger along the seam where the valve cover mates up to the engine. If you find fresh oil, the VC gasket is a likely culprit.

mine leaks so bad now that I get a good size puddle after letting the car sit after running as the oil remaining within the cover drains out.

14 hours ago, brus brother said:

run your finger along the seam where the valve cover mates up to the engine. If you find fresh oil, the VC gasket is a likely culprit.

mine leaks so bad now that I get a good size puddle after letting the car sit after running as the oil remaining within the cover drains out.

Actually from what I could see, the valve cover gaskets look pretty clean