Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My camshafts are worn and I found a set of heads that have usable cams in them. The issue is my engine is non-interference and the donor engine is interference.

Could I just swap heads? Are the pistons different on the 1997, which could make it "interference"?

Mine---------------------- Donor
1995-----------------------1997
EJ22---------------------- EJ22
2.2L------------------------ 2.2L
Non-interference------- Interference
EGR------------------------Non-EGR
Manual Trans------------Manual Trans
Dual port exh.-----------Single port exhaust
Hydraulic valve adj.----Non-hydaulic (adjustable)
................----------------Phase 1

Can I swap the rocker arms? My rollers are starting to pit.

EGR: I will have to plug the EGR tube inlet on the block or drill and tap the donor head.

I've never swapped parts like this before so I'm a little hesitant to jump in with out some advice.
Thanks, comments very much appreciated.
chopper

I have done the opposite, 95 heads onto a 97 block EJ22.

You can swap the heads. And like you said, it will be interference.

You will need the Y-pipe to match the 97 one exhaust port.

Both heads should have the port for the EGR tube. Our RHD did. The older engines without EGR did not have the port, but do have the same raised circle with a dip in the center to drill and tap which I have also done on a 93.

I know you can swap the rocker arm assy. Other people have swapped the 95 hydraulic lifter rocker assy. onto 96 and 97 heads.

I think you can also swap the rollers in the rocker arms to get a good set of rollers, but be careful of the needle bearings. Compare the OD of the rollers.

Edited by Rampage

yes you can swap the heads.  you'll need a single port exhaust manifold and can just block off the EGR valve and ignore the check engine light (it's benign in that case) or reroute vacuum lines to get rid of it. 

did you look at the 97 heads or are using online information for EGR determination?  this is mostly pointless since it doesn't matter, but 97 is a weird year with EGR and timing tensioner - I'd expect that one to be non-EGR but I also wouldn't be surprised if you got an odd EGR one in 1997. 

i would just get 95 heads and keep it all simple.  i think you can use 91-94 heads as well.

pistons changed in 1997 making it interference but i haven't messed with 90's EJ's much in the last 5 years as they all rust away here and some of the details are foggy. 

warn camshafts - says who and why?  they shouldn't be the first thing to be wearing out in that vehicle.  i'd wonder if the main or rod bearings are about to let loose if the cams are actually warn.   i'd cut open the oil filter and see what kind of debris it's collecting or get  UOA to see if there's bearing material present before opening it up. 

Thanks for all the info you all have shared.  Looking forward I'm not so worried about getting parts. There seems to be plenty of options. 

Interesting comments, Idosubaru, about the worn camshafts. History: Test drove the donor and it performed beautifully in the city and the highway. Drove it 40 miles on the interstate to get it home. Over the next few weeks I regularly started it just to I.D. any problems, if there were any.  I pulled the engine and installed it in its new home.  Got it running and would start it regularly to test the cooling system, etc. Even drove it around my back yard (installed it in a trike and riding season was over). A couple weeks later after running it many times it started blowing white smoke. Smelled like coolant. Changed head gaskets. It smoked less, but could smell some oil in the smoke. Had the heads levelled and reinstalled. Still some smoke (less) with oily smell. Engine idled rough and couldn't get the rpms up.  Checked all the electronics, multiple times and all was good. Never had any codes. OBDII worked as I tested it. After much contemplation and research I read something really simple: If its not an electronics problem it is mechanical. Duh!  Pulled the cams and found one with multiple lobes deeply worn and the other couple of lobes barely worn. 

Still wondering how the camshafts could change so fast.  Originally, I did a long block renovation (cleaning, painting) and never found any tells of an initial problem except replacing a broken spring washer on one of the rocker arm assemblies. Previous owner no doubt had new oil in it.

If I pulled the oil pan, would I be able to wiggle the the rods or bearings to prove your idea?

Dmend

“replacing broken spring washer” - was that the one for the warn cam lobe?

wonder if something happened to that area?  Was there any rust there like the engine had say for a long time in outdoor weather or with water/coolant in various places due to a blown headgasket?

it seems like it potentially had a blown head gasket when you got it ?  I wonder if it sat with water in it at some point and rusted certain areas inside the cam tower?

Can’t really access them from the oil pan like other engines. Usually cut the oil filter open and check for any debris is the way to go. 

Thats great, you ran the engine and are very familiar with it, so carry on as you were.  I was wondering if this was a guess or someone unfamiliar with Subarus suggesting it.

Ive never heard of a warn Subaru cam in a but I’m not a shop so I’m not tearing down a few a month either.

Over all the inside of the heads was very clean. I think the broken spring washer was on the side that had the worst cam wear-down.  Original owner said used car regularly to take his dog to the park. Given how torn up the interior was and the dog hair everywhere there was not reason to doubt him.  I agree that the blown head gasket existed when I bought it. After new oil I suspect the oil additive/sealer he had in it finally failed.  Car had 180K on it. 

Something I never looked at was the stability of the rollers on the rocker arms. The pitting was small and random.  Maybe some of the bearings in the rollers failed. Something to check out.

Thanks,

chopper