Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 manual transmission in 2005 Outback

In hind sight (20/20 and all that), I should have held out for a 2005 transmission. But, I went with a 2001 transmission (with the proper 4:11 gearing), ASSuming that it would just be a matter of using 2001 axle shafts to make the adaptation from 2001 trans to 2005 hubs.  But I found that the axle shafts are different lengths.  My next attempt was to make a hybrid with the 2001 inner CV female tripod cups mated with the 2005 axle shaft and tripod bearing.  That is a no-go, due to the 2005 tripod and bearings being too big to fit in the 2001 cup.  So, I tried 2001 tripod bearing on 2005 axle shaft, but the diameter and splines are not compatible.  So, last ditch effort is to pop out 2001 axle stubs and measure the male portion of the 2001 stub that goes into the transmission and hope that it is identical in diameter and spline count with the male portion of the 2005 axle that goes into the transmission.

My question: Is there  Subaru Guru that knows if I am on the right track BEFORE I attempt this Frankenstein-like process? 

Obviously, the proper way to solve the problem is to pull out the 2001 transmission, and put in the proper 2005 trans.  But I am trying to preserve my marriage and my male ego, simultaneously. 

You're sort of on the right track. The male stubs on the '05 axles will pop right into the '01 transmission, after the stubs are removed from the '01. Unfortunately, that involves splitting the transmission as the stubs on a manual are held in with snap rings from the inside.

You're sure the '01 axle won't work in the '05? Those chassis are VERY similar

Here's the surtrack axle for an '01:

SB-8011__ra_p.jpg

And for an '05:

SB-8047__ra_p.jpg

4" difference, but that's also counting the stub that protrudes into the transmission, which sounds like it would be really close.

Thank you for responding and the valuable info about the necessity to split the transmission.  That makes the proposition a NO-GO.  If I am going to take the 2001 trans out, I should probably just get the correct 2005 trans to put back in. 

As to the lengths, they are so close, laying side by side, that I initially thought it would not be a problem.  It WAS a problem, having ruined the tripod on the right side on first test drive (with wife insisting on being in the car with me, ego=ouch!)  I have tried to extend the 2001 axle length by 3/8" using machine bushings  (on a new 2001 axle), but it still is causing undue stress on the inner CV joint. I tried running it through all gears with the car up on all four corners, as to not put stress/strain on running gear.  Initially it sounded good, but I shut it down as soon as I heard a strange noise sounding like the inner CV joint under duress.   I suppose it could be the left side shaft, which I have also shimmed additional length with 3/8" of machine bushings, which was initially subjected to the same stress as the right axle shaft on that fateful first drive.

Thank you for hanging with me on this lengthy post.

Numbchux, that looks like a real possibility!  I had better study my finances as to throwing good money after bad .  Kicking myself for ASSuming the 2001 axles would be the only requirement to adapt an older trans, vs. holding out to find the correct trans.  I really appreciate your input and knowledge.