Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Subarus are fairly simple, straight forward and no special tools needed. 

loosen inner tie rod to outer tie rod lock but with a large wrench or plumbers wrench. Do this first so you’re not trying to loosen it from a  floppy disconnected outer tie rod  

Remove outer tie rod nut and tie rod from knuckle. If you’re in a rust prone area or maybe just age related - they can be very hard to pound through the knuckle. Don’t go easy on it. I’ve had the thread ends smashed and mushroomed out when they finally come through. If you can put the wheel of the car on the wheel/jack stand so the strut isn’t absorbing the pounding. If you have a torch use it  

Remove inner tie rod boot clamp - the small one and just leave it dangling on the tie rod.  unscrew outer tie rod from inner.  There’s flat spots to use on the tie rods, one is 13mm and the other 14mm maybe, WAG. Or use a plumbers pipe wrench - excellent for this.

remove inner tie rod boot clamps/holding springs and remove boot. 

get a wrench back there and remove the tie rod. There isn’t much space but they’ll come out with regular wrenches and tools.

install in reverse, paying attention to order. 

inner tie rod, boot, boot clamps, then locking nut, then outer. 

Assemble in that order since the Boot and clamp can’t go past the locking nut. 

Wow! It was so easy. 

Thanks again for the clarity. 

I definitely need an alignment after all the work, despite being careful to position the tie rods exactly as I found them. But I have a neighborhood shop that deserves all my money for things like that, so I’m happy to throw them a bone.