Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 oil pump replacement

Alright, I have an 86 BRAT that needs a new oil pump. I was originally just going to reseal it, but I've since read that that is fairly pointless with these due to the fact that they warp or break upon removal. The odds that I could reseal this one anyway is pretty low due to the fact that it is in fairly rough shape. So can anyone tell me where to get a new oil pump? I know their rare and I haven't been able to find one. I checked rockauto and summit racing. Is there someone that could perhaps build me one custom? Any help is appreciated, also does anyone know if the pump from the EA71 will fit the EA81? Thanks.

They are NLA.  Only chance is to get very lucky and find one on ebay, or someone on a forum like this who is done with that engine style.  Or machine one from a block of aluminum.

Use extreme care getting the old one out.

Honestly, unless u found someone who had one in good shape u would be better doing an ej swap. I know,  I know, but parts and power and fuel injection, better to save for that up grade.

Without an oil pump the motor is obsolete. That is what i had to face myself.

My 85 Brat has an 2.2T. 

Edited by Naked Buell

Well, I did actually find a couple of people through here that could get me a good one. As for the EJ swap, honestly i would never do that. I want to keep my BRAT as stock as I can if at all possible. If I had to, a machine shop said they could make me a new one of the broken piece of the pump for 500, which is still probably less than an EJ swap. If I do end up having to do an engine swap in the future I plan to put an EE20 horizontal diesel subaru engine in. I know for a fact it would fit as it is actually slightly smaller than the EJ engine, then it would get better fuel mileage and I could run it on homemade biodiesel.

I stumbled upon yet another EA81 oil pump in my shed the other day...

What do you guys do to them to toast them?

Yep, I have seen a broken one from hurried removal or install, and had problems getting one in on my last rebuild.

Never had problems before with putting new genuine seals and gaskets, done or supervised eight or nine

My rotating bits always measure up within spec and do not look marked.

Maybe it is time to do a head count of these babies and put up on eBay....