Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 parts car Legacy. Know this era well ?

What would you keep ? Looking for experienced 2000-2004 owners.

I’ve kind of been around the world of parting out old Subarus. So I know the basics. But it’s my first of this generation.

Looking for any oddball things that owners would know. Quirky stuff. Like I hear the steering column/cruise control lever - which on my driver (2003) is a bit tweaked out.

For the record I got this 2002 GT sedan for parts only to assist my 2003 wagon. Non Outback Legacy.

Subafreak has already explained how I made out with a better ratio in the driveline which is the main reason I bought this car. 

My post about my wagon troubles 

Thanks! 

Edited by moosens

Those are fog lights.

There’s so many of them and they’re so old, very little is hard to find. Are you looking for parts to sell or keep? The answer may differ  depending what you’re trying to do.

Leather and in particular black leather interior

Seats: power drivers side, heated, heated mirrors - VDCs do, I forget if GTs have those in that gen. Cars101 would delineate that. Similarly I don’t think GTs have them but the tweeter speakers on the front doors.

Dual cup holder center console.  

Center console rear seat fold down cup holders, they’re often broken.

Front and rear head rests.

Headlights but they’re nothing special, only due to yellowing/fading, having an extra set to polish and have ready to swap.

Wiper motor linkages with good bushings. There’s an easy DIY fix from auto parts stores but keeping a good OEM set for personal use isn’t a terrible idea.

Front door gussets if they’re not noisy. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Fuel pump assembly, especially if the cap isn't broken. That's about the only thing that's "prone" to failure.

If it's a Limited, it'll have leather, which is very nice IMHO.

OE Fog lights suck. They look neat, but not very functional. I sell any good ones off my cars, even if I'm keeping the car. I don't know how the GT ones mount, the Outback ones just bolt to the bottom of the bumper beam. So all I can say there is to watch for any extra bracketry behind the bumper cover.

Yep, bumper will swap right over. 

The '02 may have smaller front brakes than your '03 (mid-year '02 change).

Beyond that, normal partout stuff. Switches and lights are usually worth saving. If it's got a trailer hitch. I see a lot of deer crossing, so I would be saving any front bodywork. 

blinker switch, fan motor, wiper assembly, computer, axles, control arms, jack and misc parts for that, tail lights, headlights, bulbs from dash, calipers if they are decent, struts if they are good and you are feeling ambitious.   The hood and fenders. Door mirror and rear view mirror is it has a built in compass etc.   visors and door switches.    I use all of this stuff on  a regular basis as well of the stuff the other folks have mentioned.   Doors don't go that well and take up space, but if it is getting scrapped, keep the door cards.    my 2 cents

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Sometime the grille needs to stay with the bumper.  Verify the grille or keep it if you keep the bumper. 

Yep, Outback grill is about 2" taller, and the bumper is cut lower to accomodate. Legacy grill can be used with an Outback bumper (will leave a gap, but function).

I think both of his cars are Legacies, though, so shouldn't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

Correct , no Outbacks involved here.

Thanks all ! 

I got lucky in that the donor is the same color green as mine. So I’ll try to find room for the hood and if the fenders are nice at the tails I’ll keep them too.

Probably pass on the fog lights exchange but might keep the entire bumper.

So do the doors transfer sedan to wagon ? 

Cupholders and all the little doo dads for sure. I’ll create a couple small boxes for interior bits and electrical bits. 

How about sunroof stuff ? As if this moment my wagon , and the donor car do not leak. Do the associated parts have issues ? 

Thanks again ! 

And for the record I’m generally a shelf stocker not a seller.

These are parts for keeping to sustain my wagon as the model fades away from junkyards and used ones are scarce. It’s cold and salty up here so we don’t enjoy the benefits of having old Subarus to scavenge from as much as many other places. Stockpile !! Lol

Geez , I only sat in it for a half hour driving it to its destination and can’t recall if it was a leather interior. I don’t think so. Don’t think it’s a special edition either.

Probably won’t sell a single part. 

But if you’re looking for 70’s parts I may have you covered.

Cheers!! 

8 hours ago, moosens said:

Correct , no Outbacks involved here.

Thanks all ! 

I got lucky in that the donor is the same color green as mine. So I’ll try to find room for the hood and if the fenders are nice at the tails I’ll keep them too.

Probably pass on the fog lights exchange but might keep the entire bumper.

So do the doors transfer sedan to wagon ? 

Cupholders and all the little doo dads for sure. I’ll create a couple small boxes for interior bits and electrical bits. 

How about sunroof stuff ? As if this moment my wagon , and the donor car do not leak. Do the associated parts have issues ? 

Thanks again ! 

Doors do transfer. On the 1st and 2nd gens, the rear door glass was different between a sedan and wagon, I assume the same is true of the 3rd.

I think the sunroof stuff is different. The only sunrooof-related part that I would consider a common failure part would be the cable that runs from the motor to the front glass, but I don't think that applies to the sedan, might even be Outback specific.

the sunroof seals leak and they're not available anywhere, or are $$$$ from Subaru, swapping the entire sunroof assembly is the easiest fix. last one I replaced was $75 from a yard.  i would have guessed them to be different - you could do a car-part.com lookup for both vehicles and see if any of the others shop up as cross listing for it, or use a Subaru online company to look the part up and see which models is works with. 

Yeah , storage .... always a tough call on large items like hoods and doors and the rear hatch. 

Thanks 3Pin ! Soon I’ll have them both side by side but I’m around 90 miles from where they will meet so I appreciate the heads up.

Ido - I would rather exercise you nice folks here and especially draw from direct owner experience rather than play around with car-part etc. But thanks for that.