Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front strut

By about a half inch, IIRC....

Older GLs, that were essentially the same 86-87 - the 4WD front struts had adjustable height, the perch could be adjusted over about 1" of range.  If you search long and hard, you might find those, but they also probably will cost more than the typical in between the extremes aftermarket struts.  Those are pretty hard to find also.

3 hours ago, ferp420 said:

i think the adjustable struts were for the ea81 the ea82 i think are the same units the rear though they had to make the strut shorter and use a higher mounting point on the knuckle to clear the cv joint

EA81s have torsion bar rear suspension while EA82s have coil springs, so no, the rear struts won't interchange.  I think that's what you were trying to say, at least...

• Like 1

I can confirm what @ferp420 is saying about rear strut length - the 2wd unit is longer than the 4wd unit. 

As ferp said, this is due to the 4wd unit needing to clear the CV joint of the rear shaft. The 2wd unit has the lower strut/shock mount directly behind the rear wheel axle. 

As for adjustable struts, the came out on series 1 of the L series, and we’re dropped for fixed height struts on the series 2 - but they are interchangeable. 

Cheers 

Bennie

23 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

EA81s have torsion bar rear suspension while EA82s have coil springs, so no, the rear struts won't interchange.  I think that's what you were trying to say, at least...

ea81s dont have rear struts but the fronts were adjustable ive nerver seen or herd of adjustable front struts for a ea82 not that that means anything

the ea82 some of the newer coilovers for the rear do have 2 settings for the spring purch so kinda adjustable

the ea81 the tortion bar ride hight is adjustable

but we were talking front struts i think