Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to source l series axles

10 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Welcome Raynman, 

I’ve put a set of Repco units into my brumby. Not as good as OEM but the best aftermarket units I’ve come across so far. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks I'll check out the repco ones. Any idea how to tell which one I need? It seems the mpfi and carby have different part numbers but mine is ej22 swapped and I have no idea what it was originally. It's a 5spd dual range.

Just now, el_freddo said:

It’s more than likely a carb unit originally. 

Mis your wagon a touring wagon or a DL with the flat roof? If flat roof it’s definitely a carb unit which means 23 spline count on the diff stubs. 

Cheers 

Bennie

It's an 89 touring wagon..

Repco or Autobarn... Same spoob different packaging, they are pretty much all made by "Protex" or thats what you'll be given in general.

I've had fronts in for over 15,000 kms with a 50 mm lift and no problems so far.

Check Fleabay, sometimes can find them on there (Protex brand) cheaper if you have the time to wait but I think Repco gave me the best deal in my local area.

Regards,

Al

Hmmm... touring wagon, could be either! 

One way to do it is to slip an inner CV joint as far as you can and count the splines. It’ll be 23 or 25.

Or look at the fuel outlet pipe at the fuel tank to the fuel pump, if it’s 10mm the vehicle was EFI. If it’s closer to 5mm, it was a carb unit. 

Or  if you’re running a surge tank, you probably have a originally carb fed EA82 touring wagon on your hands. 

Cheers 

Bennie

if i remeber the 25 spline was for turbos only all n/a cars were 23 spline there is some differance between fwd and awd but they would still fit ether rig with out issue i sure the carbed vs non carbed are both 23 spline with other differances but non that would cause one not to work besides by now im sure all 23 splines are the same and wont matter same with 25 spline

there are no good choices left for any of them so just get what fits and fill it with greese and if you want it to last for any lenght of time replace the boots with silicone rubber boots

always check for play at the shop you get the axles at ive had too many come slopy out of the box and when installed fail in days after install its best to refuse them at the counter than try to get them to replace them after they fail

• Thanks 1

what he just said, buy whatever is cheapest/simplest to exchange when it fails and pack it with good grease.  buy two of them so you have a back up. 

it's worth the effort to try to find used OEM axles.  if you really want an OEM axle, i would at least put a good offer on some local forums and see if you find one, particularly if your local market is small enough that shipping those fat hogs isn't problematic!

Problem is that the Aussie market is a BIG place and freight isn’t cheap over long distances. 

We don’t see the L series in yards anymore, even the Gen1 Liberty/Legacy is had to find. 

@ferp420 - 25 spline diff stubs are also found on the manual NA MPFI EA82. The auto versions is still 23 spline. 

Cheers 

Bennie

12 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Problem is that the Aussie market is a BIG place and freight isn’t cheap over long distances. 

We don’t see the L series in yards anymore, even the Gen1 Liberty/Legacy is had to find. 

same here, where i haven't seen an old gen in a yard in 10+ years due to rust - still, a social media or forum post putting a good price on an OEM axle:  "$75 for good OEM axle" post title might motivate someone. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, el_freddo said:

@ferp420 - 25 spline diff stubs are also found on the manual NA MPFI EA82. The auto versions is still 23 spline. 

Cheers 

Bennie

i dont think we got those here in the us the only mpfi ive seen was turbo charged i know all my manual n/a spfi rigs were all 23 spline

6 hours ago, ferp420 said:

i dont think we got those here in the us the only mpfi ive seen was turbo charged i know all my manual n/a spfi rigs were all 23 spline

Hmmm... interesting that you didn’t get the NA MPFI. Those turbo boys would’ve been hard up looking for replacement heads when needed! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Alright someone's said they're all the some and someone's said they're not? I checked repco online and they seem to only have one sort of axle for the l series? And also now just get whatever axles are cheapest and put plenty of grease in them? Just removed one of my axles and it looks like its a genuine one, the sticker is all warn but it definitely said subaru. Now I will get some aftermarket ones for now but in the future would it be worth rebuilding the old subaru ones? Although it appears the other one isn't oem but I guess 1 oem is better than none. Also I counted the splines and it appears to be 23 so that solves that issue.

Edited by Raynman1989