Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wont start

I have a 84 gl was running fine then I changed out plugs and wires I have done this before this is a new 1 for me the ea81 wont start the ground was on the hot side of the coil so I put it back. To the - side it popped the fuse so i put it back and replace the fuse wont start any tips for this and will the ea82 fit i have full wiring and brain and 2 ea82 ready to drop in. The coil was installed back words will that blow the icm. Ok guys I have checked and double check it dose have a ecu and a icm the lines from ecu were swapped at 1 time i whent to put in new coil and plugs i put the coil in to oem black with white stripe is hot. Yellow and blue are negative so it shorted out all kind of things do to it being crossed at the ecu yes I replaced all fuses and put in the old coil witch tested fine has spark all timing is right and firing order is right. Still won't start will turn over has fuel just wont run .so I have a complete 88 harness ecu and all light harness everything will the ea82 fit into the frame rails if not how much needs to be removed to fit I have a few ea82s and would rather have it then the ea81 any tips would be cool and guys i have worked on subarus for 15 years my bad for not dumbing it down to step by step. And on further inspiration of the ea81 harness had been on fire at 1 time and not replaced so most of the engine was crossing so instead of redoing this 1 i want to pull it. Well I pulled the ea81 and dropped the ea82 in it fits i have to move 2 brake lines but it fits 

Edited by Jameso

As far as I know, this model does not use an ECU.  If the no-start condition appeared immediately after changing the plug wires, I would double check you got the firing order correct.  How in the world did you note the coil was wired backward?  

The coil may have a short. Replace it with a known good one. 

Edited by john in KY
  • Like 1