Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’m looking at buying a 2016 Outback. 2.5.
My concern is the 142k miles on it. 
It’s history shows regular service but that’s  a lot of miles. Any specifics I might want to be concerned about? Clean. No leakage. Sales guy said this car has a timing chain vs belt. Pro’s / Cons on that?
(price of 9950.00).

My current 99 Outback has gone through one head gasket and timing belt and is now leaking again. 

Input?

my first concern is finding out why the price is so low. Maybe it’s just the current crisis and they’re just dumping some vehicles to keep volume up?

2016 I think is right around the time they worked through some CVT and oil consumption learning curves.  I think you’re good on those but I forget the exact years they mitigated those issues. They updated the weak sauce EPA driven oil control rings rings and CVT around 2016/2017 and I prefer recommending those years. 

use heavier weight oil than the 0W the factory and manual require. 

Subaru chains are great. No maintenance and they’re not problematic on that engine.

142k isn’t bad. I usually get them around 120-140 and run them another 20-150k

Struts could be tired. 
Brake and front diff fluids should be changed if you can’t verify they’ve been done recently. 

Check rust. Rear Exhaust is the easiest place to look. If it’s all rusty and you keep cars awhile I’d proceed cautiously. 

Yes it’s a 2016 but I saw a 2014 over a year ago that looked atrocious at all the rear exhaust flanges and hangers  

• Like 1