Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel tank swap?

20 hours ago, rallybru310 said:

Are there baffled tanks that would be a direct bolt in for an 82 wagon that are readily available?

They would only come from an 83-84 EA81T-powered car, which aren't that plentiful anyway.  You might be able to find a replacement tank, but as stated above, a simple surge tank or fuel cell would be simpler to track down.

• Like 1

Thanks for the the input. I wasn’t familiar with fuel surge tanks but after doing some reading I can see that is a definite solution, thanks. I’m really, really wanting to produce a clean build that looks totally factory, aside from the lift and wheels. I’ll put my feelers out for a EA81T tank but in the meantime I think I’m going to open up one of my loyal tanks to have a look, maybe I’ll just fab baffles in my gl tank or even better the tank out of my 2wd gl. Thoughts, has anyone here tried this?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:55 PM, Steptoe said:

Keeping the fuel level up might help reduce problems but not practical for all applications

That's the shade tree solution.  I would just do a surge tank, honestly.  They're cheap, simple, and with a lift there is plenty of space to mount one.

@rallybru310 There is a guy on one of the FB groups with and EA81T wagon that I've been trying to get the gauge cluster and dash harness from.  If you can find him for the fuel tank, perhaps we can both profit off his partout!

1 hour ago, carfreak85 said:

That's the shade tree solution.  I would just do a surge tank, honestly.  They're cheap, simple, and with a lift there is plenty of space to mount one.

@rallybru310 There is a guy on one of the FB groups with and EA81T wagon that I've been trying to get the gauge cluster and dash harness from.  If you can find him for the fuel tank, perhaps we can both profit off his partout!

Just gonna jump in quick. Can't help with a fuel tank but are you looking for an analog or digi-dash cluster and harness?