Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84’ Brat GL turbo. No start!

So I had the 84 Brat at a friends house In his shop so I could paint it. Anyhoo I was letting it warm up Before I drove it home, after about 20 min or so the car just cut off. No stuttering or odd noise it just stopped. It has fuel. I even drained the tank and refilled it. What I don’t have is spark. I have checked and replaced the coil but that doesn’t help. (It has power). Replaced the wires the cap and rotor. The ECM is telling me that I don’t have ignition pulse. 
My distributor has the four wire type of pickup which I can’t seem to find anywhere. Can I replace this with a two wire set up?  Or am I missing something?

This was my grandfather’s car which was purchased new in 84. He can’t drive now so he gave it to my daughter.   I just spent seven months rebuilding the thing, fixing 35 years of rust and some bad body work from a rear end hit and of course new paint. 
         Thanks everyone. 

DDDDD46A-7F98-4695-B666-EDE699B3902F.jpeg

Theoretically....gosh that looks like a tidy ute....

A two pin module could work if hooked up to the correct two wires

I looked at doing this for emergency spark but stumbled on version 3 of the adaptor block I was making

The mounting holes of the four pin and two pin are not the same

Just had a change of plan for V4 just then...

A two pin may just work roughly bunged in rather than cleanly mounted

Two pin will not give knock control but should allow spark to drive it

• Like 1

Your KCM most likely mounted between glovebox and body.

They are in next to turbo model, EA82T and first series from 85 and following year share similar if not same four pin module

Must be heaps of unused, unloved S1 EA82T distributors just sitting in the US. I made a wanted call but nothing much came to fruition

• Like 1

This car has the EA81T engine. Does anyone have a part number for the four wire ignition module?

i have triple checked all the relays coils wires ect. I have correct proper power to the coil but just can’t get a spark and the ECM tells me I have no ignition pulse. 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:11 AM, Johnsomething said:

My distributor has the four wire type of pickup which I can’t seem to find anywhere.

Does it look like one of these? I don't think I would go for the cheap one. Standard products usually work good.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1984,standard,1.6l+h4,1270325,ignition,ignition+control+module+(icm),7172

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1984/subaru/dl/engine_electrical/ignition_control_unit.html

2 hours ago, Johnsomething said:

This car has the EA81T engine. Does anyone have a part number for the four wire ignition module?

i have triple checked all the relays coils wires ect. I have correct proper power to the coil but just can’t get a spark and the ECM tells me I have no ignition pulse. 

491468711 They have been NLA for a while.

• Like 1

Man, been through this with a few suppliers in the US by power of internet.

Must be a hoard of them waiting to be found in an old parts bin owned by a guy yet to discover, or care about the interweb.

If you get a reco one, likely to have original module not new