Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgrades for 85 brat

So I now have both the 85 and 86 starting and running, and I am driving the 85 pretty regularly....and man do I love that thing. So far I have be nothing but impressed. I want to get going on some upgrades and I wanted you guys input. So I am planning to buy the four inch lift from https://www.sjrlift.com/collections/ea81/products/4-ea81 unless there are better options? 

Once I get the lift installed I plan to do the 6 lug conversion and get some larger tires....what size could/should I run? 

I also want to add some power to help with the larger tires so I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a weber 32/36 carb...worth it? Any suggestions on where I should get one? 

If I do get the carb I think it would make sense to upgrade/modify the exhaust, but I wasn't able to find much info in threads. What would you guys suggest to maximize power if I get the new carb. 

Hows it sounding so far? Any other ideas or tips on things I definitely should or shouldn't do? 

I have had that same 4 inch SJR EA81 lift kit on my 1983 GL 4WD Wagon for about 12 years now and I am very happy with it. It doesn't eat axles - same ones are still in there and it handles great. I used a Forester steering shaft and it fit right in. I think it was from a '98 or so. I have an EJ22 in mine so I can't offer an opinion about the Weber conversion or the exhaust but I hear they are worth while upgrades. Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

A Weber won't give you much more power vs a Hitachi in good condition anyway. The jetting allows pretty much exactly the same fuel flow. I think the Weber has a bigger primary and a smaller secondary though so you could rejet the Hitachi to make it drive more like a Weber, but at the expense of some fuel economy.

17 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

I have had that same 4 inch SJR EA81 lift kit on my 1983 GL 4WD Wagon for about 12 years now and I am very happy with it. It doesn't eat axles - same ones are still in there and it handles great. I used a Forester steering shaft and it fit right in. I think it was from a '98 or so. I have an EJ22 in mine so I can't offer an opinion about the Weber conversion or the exhaust but I hear they are worth while upgrades. Good luck with your project!

Awesome thanks for the info! Was the EJ22 conversion worth it? I'm contemplating just doing that because it seems like I could get one fairly inexpensively. Will any EJ22 work? Are you running a EA81 trans or ea82?

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Put your money into an EJ22 conversion. 

By the time you buy a Weber, fit it and an exhaust, you’re the best part in on an EJ22 conversion. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I was thinking the exact same thing seems like I could get the motor for about the price of what the carb would be lol. Is the conversion super difficult? I have a buddy who is a motor mechanic that could help. I mainly worried about the wiring. Seems as though the guy that makes the lift will do the connectors and all for you and label them for like 300 bucks you think it's worth it?