Ultimate Subaru Message Board

U-joint from Toyota van?

Looking at replacing my u-joints in my 91 4wd loyale. I ordered GMB 220024 staked u- joints before I really did any research. I found that a 95 Toyota Privia van takes the same u-joint as the loyale. On rockauto they also offered GMB 2150021 for the van which has snap rings to secure it in place. Will these work, or is Rockford driveline the only ones that make a direct replacement?

gmb-drivetrain-220-0024-64_1000.jpg

6136zEG4-oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You will need to have your tailshaft machined to fit the replaceable uni joints. 

I’ve not done this work, only heard about others doing it. I don’t know if the machining is to get rid of the stakes that hold the factory uni’s in or if it includes machining a flat spot for the C clips to sit on properly. 

I might get around to doing this one day... 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OK

Pretty good that I have had EA82 tailshafts in my life constantly for over 15 years and only now looking at them in finer detail.

There has been a bit of a hint that the three unijoints in total are not identical when Rocks catalogue suggests front shaft uni of which there is only one , differs from the pair in the rear shaft

So having thrown out seven EA82 tailshafts and seven 3.7 dirty diffs I cannot compare a lot of shafts now

I am looking at the shaft from my 1987 TW manual dual range that I ran in my 84 Brumby, or was that tailshafts from the 91 EA82 donor....come to think of it...possible most likely

It's front uni looks not original, no staking, in fact the ends of the cups are almost flush with the yokes that have a neat square inside for where the C clips fit snugly

Grease nipple (.) too

Looks close to being 25 or 25.4 mm cups

This uni is fine. The rear section still has original looking staking and unis front and back. Front feels fine, rear just a little arthritic but gave no hint ( from memory) of problems

Rockauto listing for 1987 with C clips only list for rear shaft

Hope my scrawled notes are correct here...

SKF UJ10430

Uh oh....

SKF site lists U joints with four grooved round bearings

Suit Nissan, Subaru,  Toyota 

Cups 0.867". (22.02mm)

Other car makes use 0.886" (22.50mm) !!

Distance between outsides of fitted C clips I am assuming from a sketch and some text is 1.40" (35.56mm)

In a long winded to way i am prepping to swap out a two piece shaft from my EA82 Brumby that I suspect is responsible for vibration felt in body under squirt.

I suspect front shaft uni because image on rear view mirror on windscreen shakes about during squirt sessions. Mirror is roughly directly above front uni

This current tailshaft's previous owner denied any bad symptoms, yet when I installed it I had small vibration.

This small vibration went away when I installed previous owners matching awd gearbox. Theory is the constant drive masks vibrations

So, now it may have been suggested that the ~25 mm unijoint at front with clips and zerk may just be same as EA81 single piece tailshaft replaceable unijoint

Anyone know these EA82 two piece uni joints intimately??

(.) aka zerk

Edited by Step-a-toe

I have ordered from Rock   whatever there listing is for C clip rear section tailshaft unis

If it is not in stock in store at some of our suppliers they want to slug customer a freight charge of 10,15 or $20 even if it takes a week...I think A$17 FedExed to my door over 15,000 km or so is more than a reasonable excuse to keep buying from Rock

Will deal with front one when it is out and my spare is in use

Edited by Step-a-toe