Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best wheel/tire combo for 4” lifted wagon???

Greetings,

I’m curious as to what would be the best wheel/tire combo for my 82 wagon with a 4” lift. First of all let me say that I’m terribly sad to be departing with the looks of my 13” wagon wheels, with that said, I’d like to find a set of 6 bolt steelies with the tallest tires that I can fit without ANY body modifications. Your input on what wheel type, offset, tire size will work without rubbing is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

B94BC6F6-B8DA-4AC6-91CB-1CC4A52FEC14.jpeg

37055419-BDDB-45A1-B7B0-F934E196FF50.jpeg

3F130B85-0157-4046-8D66-3460B71C07F1.png

My rant on lifting...

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of Ruby (Brumby) with 2" lift and the bigger tyres, we go on many adventures and she is well kitted out for it. Now I know she has her limitations but she continually surprises me with her abilities.

Not sure there is anything such without a whole heap of work for the best combination from my research.

27 X 8.5 14 is the tyre size you are looking for but depending on who you talk to, as to whether or not you will need to do some gaurd trimming as well.

Gear ratio's on the other hand, thats a whole other story. Ideally from what I can workout, EJ gear ratios, L series low range. Does anyone know if the EJ internals will fit L series case?

Even once you've done that, your ratios are still going to be a mile out. Next solution, diff ratio changes. Needing to go from factory 3.7 to 4.11, you will need to change that in both the gearbox and rear diff, even better you would like to go to 4.44 but very hard to find and I don't think they will allow you to have the L series low range. Next is rear diff, time to rip out the R160 and bolt inplace an R180, which also seems easily achievable. This all comes with another very big but... But then the R180 requires custom CV Shafts, once again achievable but it certainly doesn''t make the bank balance look very healthy.

To be honest, this is what turned me off of doing a 4" lift personally... Once again, this is all just my personal opinion.

I ran an EA81 with weber, 21/4" exhaust with a sports cat, L series D/R 5 speed and about 25" tyres. Ran them fine all things considered but low range 4WD was probably about where 4WD high should of been, it certainly improved where it was capable of going but my clutch hated it and not really having a true low range I found was the biggest pain in the arse and the fuel economy was C R A P. Even now with the EJ22, sure, I've got the power to drive the 25's but I still doen't have a low range. Where I live is fairly hilly, just driving around town we have some pretty steep pulls, there are times now even with the EJ in her that I take off in 4WD low because I'm either going to punish the clutch to get going or start shredding tyres and god only knows what else by basically dumping the clutch. To be honest, I hate it, its come to the point where I'm about to return Ruby to stock trim and buy something a little more suitable for my adventuring needs and retire Ruby to the full restoration I've been promising her for the last few years.

Honestly, driving on 27" tyres with stock ratios would S H I T me to tears.

Sorry for the story. Not trying to talk you out of it, just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Al

EDIT

On a side note, all up you will achieve in the vacinity of 6"'s of lift over all. Standard tyres are approximately 23", going to 27" tyres will give you 2"'s of lift plus the 4"'s of suspension lift.

Cheers

Edited by Al Zhiemer

Al - get the SF forestry box and shove that in. 1.447:1 low range from factory, and 26 inch tyres from factory. All your ratios will be pulled back to where they should be and you’ll be loving life again! 

As for the gearbox: 

- phase 1 EJ box fits inside the L series casing - but it must be dual range to dual range and single range to single range swap. The AWD centre diff housing will bolt on the back of the L series EA front cases. 

- if you find the L series AWD locking centre diff gearbox (XT4/XT6/RXII coupes/GT wagons) you can swap in EJ diff ratios with a cut and shut on the pinion shaft. You can also fit the L series 1.59:1 low range

- if going with the above: the 1.59:1 low range will clear the 4.111:1 and 4.44:1 diff ring gear once it’s shaved down appropriately. @Al Zhiemer - if going the foz box (phase two would be better as it’s stronger) you can fit the L series 1.59:1 low range with a few mods and the shaving of the ring gear. See here: https://ausubaru.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13511  You will also be able to run the EJ clutch setup etc. makes it very easy for parts. You could even put the 4.44 diff ratio in if you wanted too. But as you say, sourcing one isn’t easy! 

ISSUES: 

- EJ dual range boxes don’t exist in the US like they do in oz. 

- L series AWD boxes aren’t easy to find either!

@rallybru310 - 27 is probably the best tyre option to avoid body bashing to make tyres fit. Also make/get the strut lift built with the camber adjustment built into it. This will straighten up the eye and reduce that positive camber which typically becomes exaggerated with a poorly made lift kit. 

In my L series I’m running an EJ22 with SG phase 2 front cases and drive gears, 1.59:1 L series low range, custom 4.111:1 diff ratio (pinion shaft is the custom bit for ->), L series locking centre AWD diff, oil “feeders” over the low range gears for cooling and it’s about to cop a rear torq locker. It’s running 27 inch tyres and a 3 inch lift kit. I’m also using factory EJ solid flywheel and clutch setup. It’s got factory engine management that’s more than I need. 

Apart from some machining for the low range hub, an interference bush on the input shaft, shaving of the crown wheel and the custom work on the pinion shaft it’s essentially all DIY’d.

A series 1 L series PT4wd box with 3.9 diff ratios could be a good way to go too. The series 2 L series PT4wd box over here are all 3.7 diff ratio.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
More info!

Sounds to me like you need to get in to the business of building custom gearboxs @el_freddo LOL

Like I've said, time to take Ruby back to original for me... Plus, I'm getting use to the idea of a nice Ranger being parked in the driveway :-)

Cheers,

Al

Pretty sure I could source another set of 4.44's for you for your trouble ;-)

Edited by Al Zhiemer