Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a noninstalled 96-99 OB strut assembly shorter than 00-04 OB?

I need a strut assembly that’s a little shorter than 00-04 outback when not installed. 

Does any one know of an option that’s maybe 1-2” shorter than an 00-04 outback strut assembly?

Are 96-99 outbacks shorter? https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/

How do Impreza, Legacy, Forester compare to 00-04 outback?

Edited by Kimon

3 hours ago, Kimon said:

I need a strut assembly that’s a little shorter than 00-04 outback when not installed. 

Does any one know of an option that’s maybe 1-2” shorter than an 00-04 outback strut assembly?

Are 96-99 outbacks shorter?

How do Impreza, Legacy, Forester compare to 00-04 outback?

Ive looked forever and need the same thing and no one seems to know, there’s no information out there.

what I’m currently looking into is installing legacy springs (if they’re shorter) on outback struts. But again no one knows.

legacy struts are shorter but the lower spring perch is lower and won’t allow outback size tires.  So struts can’t be swapped onto an otherwise stock outback.

if you only need shorter struts then legacy will work. 

if you need shorter struts and outback sized tires then legacy won’t work or use legacy and buy smaller tires.

Someone suggested 00 outback have less ground clearance than 03 outback and the struts are the same so the spring must be shorter.  I ordered a set, It was the opposite. The 00 springs from Subaru were crazy long - a full 12”, longer than any Subaru spring Ive seen. 

This might help a little. Go to www.RockAuto.com Look up different years, model, Suspension, Strut. Pick a brand like KYB Left Front or Right Front (note the part #) and click the INFO button. That will open a new page. On that page scroll down below the pictures and look at the data. Extended, Compressed Lengths and travel. It does not mention the spring perch location from the knuckle mounting points.

96 Legacy, then in the list of struts they list Outback and Legacy separate.

Get paper and pen, and write down the info so you can compare.

I like RockAuto because you can open as many years and vehicles as you want and scroll between them.