Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ready to go for the lift...I think so.

Subaru trepa por Chile

Hello All!

I think I’m ready to go for the lift on my car. I have found new KYB 2004 Forester struts and a Legacy Outback 1988 in disambling. 

Just to check, I have:

1.- new kyb struts for a 2004 Forester. 
2.- i will reuse spring and tophat from my car (any coments?)

3.- here’s where I get confused, what should I take off from the 1998 OB? The body spacers? The sway bar, springs? 

Please give me some advice as this is my first car project.

Thanks in advance!

You didn’t tell us what car you’re lifting or what you’re installing the Forester struts into?

I’m assuming you mentioned something in another thread. Go ahead and mention exact vehicle details and what you’re trying to do in each thread you start.  Some people haven’t seen the other threads, some won’t remember, we can remember incorrectly, or those working on many Subarus a week wont even try to keep track.

In general EJ struts bolt up to EJ vehicles. You don’t remove spacers or sway bars.  It’s really easy - remove EJ strut and install another EJ strut  

mark the top one of the two lower strut mount bolts as it adjusts alignment. ReInstall it in the same orientation.

if it’s a significant height change an alignment may be necessary.  But if it’s not you won’t notice a difference.

you wont get much lift with the stock springs so get the forester or ouback springs also if you have a choice get the turbo version if you plan on offroading it

while your getting the body spacers off the outback grab the steering coupler also the stock one will be to short once the subframe is droped

but we need you to do us a favor we just gave you some information to the best of our knowladge but now we need.some thing from you

we need before and after pics cause it dident happen without pictures dangnabit

Hello all! Thanks for the tips. Sorry I wasnt specific about my Car or anything actually. 

My Car is a Legacy 1996 Wagon with an EJ20 engine. 

my goal is to lift it enough to fit hopefully 215/75/15 wheels. If not possible I would Seattle for 205/70/15. 

I dont want to sacrifice safety in highways as most of the places i want to visit are at least 1.000 km distance. Then some inner roads, maybe cross a creek and being able to hook a trailer. 

That’s all folks!!

thanks again for the tips! 

Of course photos will be uploaded of the process and final results!!

my front struts are for a 98-04 forester and ya they just bolted in

im running 215-75-16s on my imp there somewere around 28.5 inches or so i had to cut alot of fender alot and still get some rubbing here and there i also have my wheels spaced out about a.inch with a heavy offset rim so the tires are pushed outside the fenders by about 1" making the rubbing worse but with out the heavy offset the tires will rub the spring purch i have about a 1/2" of clearance between the strut and the tire now also i had to move the rear wheels backwords to stay centered in the wheel wells and keep the back tire out of the rear doors and i also droped the rear control arms down 2" to keep suspention geomitry in line you can get the factory drop brackets off of the outback they should be good enuff since its a lego going to stock outback ride hight

you dont realy need the drop brackets for the front if your just doing struts when i lifted our lego i went with new front struts and i added a 1/4 spacer on top of the struts and was at the far limits for the alignment the outback brackets will fix that so your closer to stock tolerances the rear got 2.5" lift and was out of specks and we couldent align it right and had to use aftermarket adjustable arms to get back in specks

did i say i had to cut alot off the fenders to clear 28.5 tires and i mean alot theres just no way a big tire is gona fit that small opening

i used 2" wide fender flairs to hide and cover the tires to stay street legal and it gives it that ralley car look instead of the i just cut the hay out of my fenders to stick these big tires on it look

Edited by ferp420