Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone run without Tbelt covers? ea82T

so I am sitting right next to my motor on the stand right now, and I am trying to assemble it now, but the rear belt covers are shot (melted around the bolt holes and also cracked in places... so i cant quite re-use them, and nobody replyed to my "WTB belt covers" post :-\

so I am wondering if anyone here has had bad or good luck with running their ea82 without belt covers at all? (I am gonna go with all or none here!)

this is going to be on my XT, so I will have to make some sort of guard, or buy new belt covers soon.... but for getting it running.. it shouldnt be too bad right?

so I am sitting right next to my motor on the stand right now, and I am trying to assemble it now, but the rear belt covers are shot (melted around the bolt holes and also cracked in places... so i cant quite re-use them, and nobody replyed to my "WTB belt covers" post :-\

so I am wondering if anyone here has had bad or good luck with running their ea82 without belt covers at all? (I am gonna go with all or none here!)

this is going to be on my XT, so I will have to make some sort of guard, or buy new belt covers soon.... but for getting it running.. it shouldnt be too bad right?

I am running without covers on my Loyale - EA82. I drive it 100 miles per day (all highway) and I never have any trouble.

i have my front covers off, but not the entire covers. works fine for me. lotsa peepl leave themoff. may make them break earlier, because of the elements gettin to them, but when they do, it'll be easier to change them.

I ran them with the front's off for a while, but I honestly think it's better with the cover completely removed. Oil and grime and crud used to collect in the remnants of the covers. Now there is no where for that stuff to go but out and down.

Also note I have had the belts break twice on me - once with full covers, once with half covers, but NUNCE (None, nada, never, nil) with no cover.

i run with an absence of all the cobvering. i like to leave behind the plastic piece behind the driver belt idler pulley, for 2 reasons: thatis really the only place the backside of the belt is exposed, bolt stays torqued

i highly recommend using GOOD torque or some thread locker on the idler pullet, as if its not tight enough it will walk out and snap

i could say myself that that is the only problem i had with open belts, and that has to do with wrenching, not exposure

over here at alleyboys we are building up a turbo shortblock with re-worked heads, and the vote is no blet covers.

i myself prefer open belts, but i dont mind installing the covers say if it were jims motors

I have the fronts off and the rears on. Gonna take them all off next time I'm in there :) Offroad it quite a bit and they stay very clean. Stuff just flings off of them !_! As noted above stuff tends to just collect up in the rear covvers if you dont have all covers on and FULLY secured.

Ok I will put a vote in the covers on dept. I have always kept my pullys coverd on my subes. years ago I built a VW gti without em and it worked ok. It did seem to cause a bit more wear and tear on the belts and pullys over time. it also is a bit of a safety issue. and last but not least its just a bit too graphic having all these subes running around with thier pullys exposed for all the world to see. :rolleyes: for shame! put some covers on those naked pullys.:lol:

I run my 85 GL-10 wagon with no covers. Old ones were too damaged to stay in place. Since most of my driving is hwy, I don't worry much about rocks etc getting between the belts and pullys. It really makes aligning the belts tough though, not having the cam marks. Had to eyeball the cam positions when installing belts, but "seems" to be aligned ok.

Keith

thanks for the opinions guys! I will run without covers for now and see how this will do... it certainly looks cool... and definately makes adjusting/changing belts easier! (if i leave them open, i will just carry spare belts with me all the time, so if it does break.. give me about 20 mins :cool:

might try to get a pic of the engine up here....

I take it that Subes have a little bit of tolerance between the valves and pistons....since breaking belts doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I've heard on other cars if the belt goes while driving....you just ordered yourself a new engine.

EA82's are NONinterference engines. Throwing a timing belt will not cause any unwanted meetings in the valve train :)

I don't think WJM has any timing covers...

Indeed, the GL-10, RX, RX, and DL run with no covers of any sort. The DL was sold to a gentleman in PA, who drove it from here to there and did not have a problem. The GL-10 has gone over 30k miles with no issues. Both RXs have seen WRC style driving on gravel roads, mud holes and creeks....never had a problem.

here is a pic of the engine without the belt covers on, or the alt... i still need to find a non AC, non PS alt bracket for it...

the motor is now in the car!!! soon to be tested!

SWEET. Thats what all of mine look like....except they are not as clean now. lol

• 7 months later...

i have some for an EA82, but some of the captive nuts are twisters, about half, if you want covers, there free, you pay shipping. sound good? i also need to get rid of my old EA82 block and heads(heads have tiny cracks in between valves) and pistons and everything else that comes in an EA82 motor, no need for it now, totally disassembled, might be missing a few bolts and nuts, you know how that goes. if you want them shoot me a PM and ill get a shipping quote for ya.

~Josh~

Here is my Tbelt experience. Had a belt break with the covers installed and paid someone else to fix it. It broke again and it took me like 2-3 hours to replace them.

Bought a Loyale of Trogdor with no t covers (sugested by MilesFox) and the tbelt broke before I could drive it home. Only took like a hour to change and that included the water pump as well.

I have so far put about 2k miles on it with no covers. Snow SLop and heaven only knows what else hasn't effected it.

I am of the opinion that the belts are gonna break and it's easier to change them without the dang covers. :)

Just my 2 cents

i am amazed that some one was looking back that far to offer a set of covers to a guy that has sold the car that he was asking about at the time and then the guy says hey there free maybe austin can put them on the wall and say this was when i once owned my xt