Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Often see references to an EJs fifth identification character

I understand EG20G is turbo

EA82T was simple

Thought I invented the EA82M - M is for Mongrel :)

i have an AUDM Impreza's EJ20 

How do I identify what its fifth character is?

Also have a basket case EJ22 from about 93 Liberty stored in a crate for one day

aka as Steptoe

The EJ22 was known as EJ22E - dunno where the E came from and I don’t know that it changed when they went to an interference setup. 

From the EJ20G I get a bit sketchy. I think there was an EJ20H from the twin turbo setup of the early to mid 90’s. These apparently were know for spinning bearings. 

Theres the NA EJ251 and EJ253. Difference is AVCS or what ever it’s called to control valves etc. 

Anyway, I’m sure there’s a list somewhere you could find on the web. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

The wiki is a good start. The complete engine code is on the strut tower plate, if you're looking at a whole car.

About the only easy piece with EJ engine codes, is that if the 5th digit is a letter, it's a phase I engine, if it's a number, it's phase II.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Numbchux said:

About the only easy piece with EJ engine codes, is that if the 5th digit is a letter, it's a phase I engine, if it's a number, it's phase II.

I think with the phase two that an odd number is turbo and even number is NA, but I’m not 100% sure on that. 

Cheers 

Bennie

10 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I think with the phase two that an odd number is turbo and even number is NA, but I’m not 100% sure on that. 

Cheers 

Bennie

my 02 Forester has an EJ251 and is definitely NOT a turbo - so that little bit of info is way off.

5 hours ago, heartless said:

my 02 Forester has an EJ251 and is definitely NOT a turbo - so that little bit of info is way off.

Ah yeah I didn’t think about the Gen3 NA EJ251 - and I’ve got two in the family! 

With my comment above, I was thinking of the 2 litre EJs. But like I said, not 100% on it and that is certainly the case for the 2.5 litre EJs. 

Cheers 

Bennie