Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Brat Swap with 5spd dr questions

I have an 82 brat. 

Originally I was going to swap the carb to fuel injected. I've done it and drove it round the block a few times. But now it won't start. Pretty sure its trouble with the disty.

I have decided to scrap that.

I just picked up a 90 legacy with 160000 on it for 400 bucks. It runs and drives fine but overheats I need to change the water pump. 

My goal is to strip the legacy of parts to swap into my brat.

My brat will soon have a 4 inch lift kit.

I would like to use a 5spd Dr in this swap, but I keep getting conflicting thoughts on this. I can get the adapter plate no problem.

Questions:

1. What will I need to do, other than the adapter plate, to make the 5SPD DR work in the brat with the ej22.

2. How can I use the powersteering from the EJ.

3. What do I need to do to retain the AC from the EJ. The brat is ready equipped for ac but it was not installed.

I know these things have been gone over and over. I have the write up for the EJ swap from @numbchux but I need more info and I want to help get updated info out there

When I have all the parts together and I begin this process. I will be doing a write up and also possibly make a YouTube series on this process from start to finish. So any help would be appreciated so we can get the info out to people who are interested in doing this .

The adaptor plate requires that you run the EA82 flywheel - you will need to elongate the bolt holes to bolt it to the EJ22. 

To fit the gearbox you’ll have all the usual issues of 5spd fitment. Many threads on this. 

Power steering AFAIK requires the rack from another MY of the same era. Then adapt the hoses of the EJ system to the MY rack. 

AC: use the MY wiring, but wire the over pressure and low pressure switches in series to make the compressor work. You will need to adapt the hoses to connect everything up. The EJ ecu will have a reference wire for AC to trigger the Thermo fans. 

And that EJ22 isn’t overheating because of the water pump. It’s the head gaskets replace these while the engine is out. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

The adaptor plate requires that you run the EA82 flywheel - you will need to elongate the bolt holes to bolt it to the EJ22. 

To fit the gearbox you’ll have all the usual issues of 5spd fitment. Many threads on this. 

Power steering AFAIK requires the rack from another MY of the same era. Then adapt the hoses of the EJ system to the MY rack. 

AC: use the MY wiring, but wire the over pressure and low pressure switches in series to make the compressor work. You will need to adapt the hoses to connect everything up. The EJ ecu will have a reference wire for AC to trigger the Thermo fans. 

And that EJ22 isn’t overheating because of the water pump. It’s the head gaskets replace these while the engine is out. 

Cheers 

Bennie

MY? What are you talking about MY.

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

MY = brumby/brat but the wagon sedan etc. dunno why they’re know as this but that’s how their often referred to. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That's what they're traditionally called down under, in N.A. we just call them the "EA81" chassis.