Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Offroad Tupperware [EZ30"R"/5EAT]

unenthuzed

I figured I'd throw up shots of my derelict project I've decided to embark on while we're quarantined.  The goal is to shove the Engine/Drivetrain from the '06 Legacy LL Bean [120k] into the silver car for some offroad shenanigans.  

As to the question of why, plastic doesn't dent or rust.  Plus the Legacy was an auction car that glanced off a tree  

IMG_20200422_155303.jpg

IMG_20200423_174428.jpg

IMG_20200327_180027.jpg

You might want to specify the types of pictures you want.  *Giggity*  

I'll be cutting out the radiator support and rolling the Engine and trans under the car tonight to see how much lower they need to be mounted in order to clear the lack of trans tunnel in that car.  Also mental note:  Drag both the Legacy and Saturn gas tanks outside before the sparks start to fly.

Time to cut some sheet metal to tuck the trans up a bit more. 

I'm torn on how far forward I want to end up mounting this thing.  The 3rd pic has things positioned roughly where Id need them to be able to run 32" tires.  IMO, thats much too far forward and would probably make this much too nose heavy.  The previous car I messed with could only manage 28" tires due to how close they were to the wheel wells. 

I'll keep playing with the position of the Engine/Drivetrain after I cut a hole for things to go up higher.

-Alex  

IMG_20200424_210234_1.jpg

IMG_20200424_210341_1.jpg

IMG_20200425_074426_1.jpg

DSC_0050_1.jpg

DSC_0062_1.jpg

Also I'd like to voice the room regarding how much axle angle guys with serious lifts are running at the normal ride height to balance lift vs. longevity.  The 2" drop at ride height "convention" doesn't seem to be the norm with guys running 6"+ of lift.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by unenthuzed

I got happy with the angle grinder and cut out the top section of the tunnel to tuck the transmission up. The Engine/Trans oil pans will stick down, but I'll just cover them with a skid plate. Otherwise, it was pretty easy to get it up to the position I wanted.

IMG_20200425_183931.jpg

IMG_20200425_183949.jpg

IMG_20200425_184031.jpg

IMG_20200425_184041.jpg

Edited by unenthuzed

17 hours ago, unenthuzed said:

Also I'd like to voice the room regarding how much axle angle guys with serious lifts are running at the normal ride height to balance lift vs. longevity.  The 2" drop at ride height "convention" doesn't seem to be the norm with guys running 6"+ of lift.  Thanks in advance.

from everything ive read 3" over stock is the max angle you can reliably run with ej axles what angle dose that make it out to be i dont know but 3 over stock is the best #s i can give ya