Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 DL Wagon Project (91EJ22T)

So I have been working on this for a few months now.. tried to do some research but there isnt a whole lot avalible on this swap.. seen a couple EJ22s into a 70's but no EJ22T's.. so i am learning as i go and just having fun trying to figure this out.. i have 2 donor cars.. a 1991 Legact Sport, and a 1994 Legacy Sport.. I took the engine and wireing harness out of the 91. (it was automatic) the 94 i am taking the 5 speed and complete drivetrain out of it. PO switched drivetrain to a wrx before they ran it into the back of another car. So far i have striped down the wiring harness out of the 91 to only the stuff i need. waiting to test that untill i get the engine and trans fitted into the wagon.. i took the 91 legacy xmember an had it shorted about 1.5"s on each side. this was i will be able to use the mounting points for the 91 suspension.. the 91 legacys is rufffly 3 inches widers then the 79wagon.. i am also able to use the power stearing out of the 91. i just shortened the ends of stearing linkage.. also using the 91 xmember it had the cut out for the uppipe in it. i will have to have a custom exhaust manifold and uppipe made to fit.. it is extreamly TIGHT FIT!!!! the reason i chose the EJ22T also is because it is a turbo engine with SOHC. due to my frame rails being so narrow i could only fit the SOHC not DOHC.. i did have to noth out a section on each side so the valve covers would not be rubbing.. thats what i finsihed up today.. my next step is to pull the trans out of the 94 legacy and mount it to my engine so i can test fit them into the wagon.. i know i am going to have to modify the trans tunnle. but once i do that i can then test out my wiring harness and get some other loose ends figured out.. i will try an keep this updated when i finish something else on it.. currently have lots of time due to covid.. so hopfully i can make some quick progress on it.... ill post some pics of what i got now..  if anyone has done this or needs some help i would like to hear for you.. and help anyone else out if i can.. im learing alot about this swap as i continue on..

20200215_140808_zpsdzrkjzlt.jpg

20200215_140823_zps9ieatfvu.jpg

20200403_155541_zpsbie8vyty.jpg

20200424_155927_zpsajxscgig.jpg

20200424_155935_zpswevsfv6e.jpg

20200403_161614_zpsetdmcmqp.jpg

20200215_140732_zpssd2ymfkr.jpg

20200215_140722_zpsth850lbv.jpg

20200215_140738_zps2czno6w8.jpg

Edited by 79DL
added pictures
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazyeights said:

Nice project! Please keep the thread updated as you make progress. It looks good so far.

I have an EJ22T going in to a '92 Loyale. It's taking me way too long to get it done :)

Thank you! Thats awesome how far have you got? does the engine sit into the xmember of the loyale? have you taken apart the wireing harness yet?  i would like to see some pics. you doing a build thred?

• Like 1

I have an EJ22E in the car right now to keep it mobile. The EJ22T is on the engine stand right now almost completely assembled. The turbo wiring harness is all stripped and finished. I used the engine cross-member from an '89 GL-10 turbo wagon so the exhaust will clear without any cutting. The radiator is stock Loyale. The 5 lug conversion is all done. I used '93 Impreza FWD hubs, struts, springs, and knuckles with Loyale top hats and EA81 outer tie rod ends.  The front lower control arms are from an XT6. The transmission cross- member is a mixture  of '94 Legacy and XT6. It bolts right in. The 5 speed transmission and rear differential are from a '94 Legacy 4WD, the ratio is 4.11. The clutch, flywheel, and starter are '94 Legacy as well. The front section of the rear Loyale driveshaft had to be shortened 51mm to fit with the EJ transmission installed. The front brakes are Loyale calipers with '93 Impreza FWD brackets (with 1 of the Loyale caliper pins installed), hubs, rotors and pads. This allows me to retain the front parking brake. I am pretty sure I used stock '93 Impreza FWD axles but it's been a while. I added a rear sway bar using the sway bar and trailing arms from an XT4. The rear disc brake backing plates are '94 Legacy 4WD modified to fit the XT4 trailing arms. The rear rotors, calipers, brackets, and pads are from a '94 Legacy 4WD with XT6 4WD rear hubs. The wheels are 16" Enkei Fittipaldi with 205 55 16 tires. I have a stock Subaru '92 Legacy Sport Air to Water intercooler (AWIC) setup that I had shipped in from New Zealand. I hope it will fit as I haven't tested it yet. As far as I know these were never available in the USA. This would let me keep the stock hood without adding a scoop. It's been about a 7 year project so far. It's been lots of fun building it but it's taking me way too long. At least it's almost done. :)

Here is a thread with a few pictures

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/145759-royal-loyale/?tab=comments#comment-1224351

Thank you for sharing your awesome project! I look forward to more updates!

Edited by Crazyeights

18 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

I have an EJ22E in the car right now to keep it mobile. The EJ22T is on the engine stand right now almost completely assembled. The turbo wiring harness is all stripped and finished. I used the engine cross-member from an '89 GL-10 turbo wagon so the exhaust will clear without any cutting. The radiator is stock Loyale. The 5 lug conversion is all done. I used '93 Impreza FWD hubs, struts, springs, and knuckles with Loyale top hats and EA81 outer tie rod ends.  The front lower control arms are from an XT6. The transmission cross- member is a mixture  of '94 Legacy and XT6. It bolts right in. The 5 speed transmission and rear differential are from a '94 Legacy 4WD, the ratio is 4.11. The clutch, flywheel, and starter are '94 Legacy as well. The front section of the rear Loyale driveshaft had to be shortened 51mm to fit with the EJ transmission installed. The front brakes are Loyale calipers with '93 Impreza FWD brackets (with 1 of the Loyale caliper pins installed), hubs, rotors and pads. This allows me to retain the front parking brake. I am pretty sure I used stock '93 Impreza FWD axles but it's been a while. I added a rear sway bar using the sway bar and trailing arms from an XT4. The rear disc brake backing plates are '94 Legacy 4WD modified to fit the XT4 trailing arms. The rear rotors, calipers, brackets, and pads are from a '94 Legacy 4WD with XT6 4WD rear hubs. The wheels are 16" Enkei Fittipaldi with 205 55 16 tires. I have a stock Subaru '92 Legacy Sport Air to Water intercooler (AWIC) setup that I had shipped in from New Zealand. I hope it will fit as I haven't tested it yet. As far as I know these were never available in the USA. This would let me keep the stock hood without adding a scoop. It's been about a 7 year project so far. It's been lots of fun building it but it's taking me way too long. At least it's almost done. :)

Here is a thread with a few pictures

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/145759-royal-loyale/?tab=comments#comment-1224351

Thank you for sharing your awesome project! I look forward to more updates!

you just helped me out a TON!!! I didnt know AWIC exsisted.. lol i was trying to figure out how i am going to fit a radiator and intercooler into the front of the car.. the radiator is already going to have to be custom because there isnt alot of room.. but with the AWIC set up i should be able to make that work! THANK YOU!!! you didnt have to shorten your drive axles did you? my car is about 3 inches narrower so i am going to have to get custom ones made.. i see your located in Washington. Are you ever in the Portland area? I would be interested in seeing everything you have done to it.. I am about 30min south of Portland. also how did you build your ej22t? is it stock?or did you add some extras to it? 

• Like 2

My EJ22T is completely stock. Just a valve grind and reseal. Here is a picture of everything that comes with the factory AWIC setup. As you can see it has a separate small radiator that has to be mounted as well as coolant lines, pump, etc.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

I found front axles that didn't have to be shortened. I am pretty sure that they were from a FWD '93 Impreza.

Edited by Crazyeights

• 3 weeks later...