Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale no spark

Ok guys so i have a 91 loyale that has no spark.

I have checked coil,fuses,relay, and made sure the bracket was grounded.

i have no spark at the coil so i know its not the wires of distributer.

i have power across the coil terminals,but only 8.55 volts.

does anybody have any suggestions on what i should do to fix it?

its a 1.8 spfi front wheel drive(if that makes a difference?)

any help is appreciated.

Edited by Jacob 2002

2 hours ago, Jacob 2002 said:

i have power across the coil terminals,but only 8.55 volts.

You should check the coil + and - to ground with the volt meter.

If you have a test light, hook the clip to ground and hold the probe tip on the coil negative and crank the engine. Does the light flicker?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jacob 2002 said:

uh I dont have a test light but i have a multi meter,I also just noticed that when i leave the switch on the coil gets hot is that normal or do i have a short?

It would be worth taking it in and having it tested.....

58 minutes ago, Jacob 2002 said:

when i leave the switch on the coil gets hot

Not normal. Electronic ignition uses pulses from the distributer or SPFI Module to fire the coil. If the engine is not turning, no pulses, no current through the coil, no heat. There should be battery voltage on the + and - of the coil.

The coil bracket should have a power transistor (ignitor) mounted on it? If so, it is probably shorted. You can unplug it and test it with an OHM Meter. Put the meter on the diode symbol if it has one, otherwise use the lowest OHM setting. The transistor has three terminals one is ground. Put the black probe on ground. You might see 75 on one pin, If you find a very low reading on the other terminal, it is toast.

If you get no short on the transistor, the only other thing that could turn the transistor on would be a voltage leak that should not be there from the SPFI module.

The diagram is for an 89. The transistor works like a switch. An input pulse turns it on and connects the coil negative to ground and when the pulse turns off, the coil will produce a spark.

Ignition system.jpg

• Like 3

Regarding the links, yes, ok for a test, I wouldn't leave them that way.   The battery, yes, charge it, since it's not good for lead acid batteries to sit discharged.  But the battery charge is not the cause of the bigger problem.