Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, 5/16 or 3/8 but what length? NAPA 

Are both hoses the same size? How long should they be?

"Feed two sections of new 5/16 or 3/8" (whichever macthes what's there. Only do one at a time.) fuel injection hose

Napa has about the best injection hose you can get. Rated for 300 psi.

Just called NAPA and was told 225psi hose was $7 a foot. So just go buy $70 or $90 of hose?

Where else do they have the good hose? One of the search results a poster suggested high temp transmission cooler hose. Might get a four or five foot lenght there.

good god, that is a ridiculous price for fuel hose.

i used to be able to get it for like 70 cents a foot.

If you cant find it for a reasonable price by the foot, try looking for 5-6ft sections (and not at Napa - try other sources - Advance Auto, etc, local farm supply house, whatever you can think of)

What hose lines are you replacing? 

12 feet of fuel hose sounds VERY excessive unless I’m missing something there. That’s enough fuel hose to go front to back with plenty to spare after ONE hose. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 5/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, heartless said:

good god, that is a ridiculous price for fuel hose.

i used to be able to get it for like 70 cents a foot.

If you cant find it for a reasonable price by the foot, try looking for 5-6ft sections (and not at Napa - try other sources - Advance Auto, etc, local farm supply house, whatever you can think of)

Not for fuel injection hose. Stuff is not cheap.

Subarus only have a few sections of rubber hose, maybe 18" a piece. Measure the section you're replacing.

You can use low pressure fuel hose for the return line, but do not use anything other than fuel injection hose for the supply line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my 94 Legacy. The gas cap was loose, when I tightened it up my gas started to leak from above the tank. Looking at the FSM I decided the pressure from temperature push gas through the system out the return above the tank.

The length of the return line from the access panel to where the screw clamps at the driverside back seat.

Are both hoses the same quality of line. Going to junkyard today so I'll check on transmission cooler lines. 400 degrees sound like quality. 

A couple of 99s at pic a part. Looks like the fuel lines are short flex with longer runs of steel tubing. Couldn't find a 14 inch rim, not even a 185/70R14 tire. Are Subaru rims common on other vehicles? 

While I was there I saw a power steering pump, the reservoir on top the pump type. I thought it might work on a 94. But they wanted over $40 for that. Climbed under a few cars looking for transmission cooler line and that's mostly metal with short pieces of flex.

Now I see why the previous owner just loosened the gas cap to stop the fuel leak and installed a doorbell to start it.

Edited by rol11

The fuel lines up and over the fuel tank are metal. Because of a leak in the return line, I replaced both, the supply and return with fuel injection hose on our 95 Legacy RHD wagon. I did one at a time. I used 100 PSI fuel injection hose. On the 90's Subaru, the max fuel pump pressure on some pumps can be around 60 - 85 PSI, but it runs at less than half of that pressure around 26 - 38 PSI. The FSM will give you specs on your pump. The 100 PSI hose will be fine even it the fuel filter gets completely clogged.

For the power steering pump, check the pipe connection to the pump. They used different types of connections through the 90s.

I run Chevy Cavalier wheels on our 95. They have a slightly larger center hole than the Subaru wheel. You need all 4 because they move the tire 1" outward. I am sure there are others that will fit, but I never checked it out.

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

I noticed plenty of 15 inch wheels. But no 14 inch rims, much less the pain in the rump roast to clean multi spoked aluminum rims

Would I have to make modifications to use 15 inch tires and rims on this standard 94 Legacy  L sedan? Kinda of a balancing act between spending between  $40-$70 for a specific sized tire, 185/70R14, which I found none of at the junkyard, or picking up a set of 15 inch on the rims. But a lift kit or Forester struts are beyond me at this time. 

Replacing the fuel line with injection line without dropping the rear end, would I be able to fish tape it through? Is the 94 using steel lines with short flexible sections? Does it use a full lenght flexible line that I could use to pull the new line through?

And thanks for the responses.

12 hours ago, Rampage said:

The fuel lines up and over the fuel tank are metal.

They have metal clips that hold them onto the tank.

54 minutes ago, rol11 said:

Does it use a full lenght flexible line that I could use to pull the new line through?

No. They are metal and bent to match the shape of the tank.

Our cars being AWD have a second round access cover opposite the fuel pump cover. I fished a solid 12ga copper wire between the two access holes and wrapped and taped it to both new hoses and used it to pull them through from the fuel pump side, then over and down the side of the tank to the metal pipes that come through the floor.

• Thanks 1

I did ours probably 7 years ago and no problems yet. Hold on, let me go knock on wood. The hose just lays there with no movement, so it should be fine.

For protection you could use something like this plastic spiral.

l_pa2.jpg