Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam Swap 1997 into 1995 Lobe Height Difference

I had a cam go bad so I found heads from a 2.2L 1997 EJ22 and will put them into a '95 2.22L. I was looking at the manual and noticed a lobe height difference. The '97 having taller intake lobes and shorter exhaust lobes.

Using the actual intake lobe height of the '97 cam subtracting it from the '95 specs and it is .0093 inches taller (~business card thickness).

The exhaust will be .0257 inches (~2/3 of a millimeter).

I think the intake will not make a difference because fuel volume is regulated. However the exhaust valve will not open as far, thus a shorter time for exhaust to escape.

Could this cause me problems????

Thanks,
Chopper

97 heads won't bolt up to your 95 engine - the 95 has dual port exhaust heads and the 97 has single port exhaust heads.  You'll need to swap the exhaust manifold as well to use the 97 heads.  You may also have EGR differences.  95 MT's don't have EGR, 95 AT's do have EGR, 97 is a mixed bag but almost always has EGR. 

Don't worry about the cams if you're swapping an entire head.  97's are a different valve train with manually adjustable valves, your 95 heads were hydraulic.  I would guess the additional geometry and actuation protocols mean your calculations are too simple to account for actual end result.  In the end it shouldn't matter - the heads are entirely interchangeable and 97 heads run just fine on EJ22 blocks. 

My intention is to only swap the Camshafts.

I don't want to swap the heads unless I absolutely have to. I won't know that until I reassemble and run it ('95 heads are on the engine). I had the heads milled down, but they still looked a little beat up.

Chopper

Hey chopper, 

As Ido said, you’re attempting to put hydraulic valve lash adjustment camshafts into a roller rocker camshaft actuation setup. 

EJ22 heads will interchange and bolt up. It’s the differences in exhaust ports and EGR setup that catches you guys out. We have dual port on all EJ engines in Oz. 

Have you looked at a delta cam grind? You could probably use the ‘95 cams as the core exchange if they operate that way. 

Cheers 

Bennie

17 hours ago, chopper said:

My intention is to only swap the Camshafts.

I don't want to swap the heads unless I absolutely have to. I won't know that until I reassemble and run it ('95 heads are on the engine). I had the heads milled down, but they still looked a little beat up.

Chopper

I doubt that will work. But you can try it, the EJ is such a common form factor across a variety of changes it wouldn’t be a surprise if it “worked”.  

Might get lucky but you may not get any direct feedback. No one swaps those cams or the few that know won’t see this post.  Most people swap the entire heads or buy a camshaft like el Freddy just said.  Delta cams has camshafts they can sell you or they can repair your old one. do that and sell the new heads. 

I planned on using the '97 rocker assembly because the wear patterns will match, and the rollers are in better shape.  I checked the intake and exhaust valve specs and they are the same for both years.  I believe I contacted Delta last year and they said they would have to send them the cams to make a determination on whether the cams can be reworked. If I remember right they won't make a new cam. No one makes cams for the 2.2L anymore, only the 2.5L.

I think I'm gonna jump in and do it this week. Have to rotate the engine to set the lifters which will be the first indicator if anything binds (valve to piston).

I'll post the results....

Chopper

On 5/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, chopper said:

I planned on using the '97 rocker assembly because the wear patterns will match, and the rollers are in better shape.  I checked the intake and exhaust valve specs and they are the same for both years.  I believe I contacted Delta last year and they said they would have to send them the cams to make a determination on whether the cams can be reworked. If I remember right they won't make a new cam. No one makes cams for the 2.2L anymore, only the 2.5L.

I think I'm gonna jump in and do it this week. Have to rotate the engine to set the lifters which will be the first indicator if anything binds (valve to piston).

I'll post the results....

Chopper

I didn't consider swapping the entire valve train.  I've always just swapped heads or repaired individuals valve train parts, I haven't interchanged the entire valve assembly.

Delta can build up the cam lobes and machine them back down but right on, they'll never know until they have them in hand. 

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I didn't consider swapping the entire valve train.  I've always just swapped heads or repaired individuals valve train parts, I haven't interchanged the entire valve assembly.. 

I didn’t think this could be done. So I’ll be keen to know if you can interchange like this. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...

And this saga continues…..Update…..

I swapped the camshafts and rocker assemblies, and set and rechecked the valve lifters, put it all together and this beast wouldn’t start. I finally figured out that the crankshaft sensor went dead. Replaced the crankshaft and the camshaft sensor (rather do it in the garage then out on the road), verified they were providing the correct ohms and installed them. Key-on, then cranked the engine and it started right up. YEA! But, it ran for about 30 seconds and died. I sounded like the idle was low and it died before I could get to the throttle to give it some gas. It hasn’t started since then. When it turns over I can’t hear any cylinders firing.

This is what I've checked:

OBDII is not showing any codes.

Made sure the gas tank valves were open.

Checked fuel pressure.

Verified the crank and camshaft sensors were working.

Checked for spark at each cylinder.

Cleaned and reset the plug gap.

Checked the fuel injectors for resistance, voltage, & listened to them fire with the stethoscope.

Pulled cylinder 2 fuel injector for a visual inspection and it was not plugged.

Checked the Throttle Position Sensor and readjusted to specs.

Checked voltage at the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor

Pulled Main Relay and verified it was working

Back probed the Mass Air Flow Sensor for voltage and signal.

Check fuses

Tested OBDII system and it showed codes for TPS and Fuel Injectors when not connected. Did not show code for MAS when disconnected. Though, not sure it would until the engine was running.

Compression check on cylinders 1 & 3 showed 185. For Cylinder #1 verified compression stroke was when the arrow on the cam pulley was coming up to 12 0’clock position.

So, at this point I don’t know what to do. Do you guys have any ideas on what to do with this?

Thanks,

Chopper

IAC is connected. 

Had to go out for starter fluid and it will run with the starter fluid.

Did some more reading on the start-up events which led to the open/closed loop.  My reading shows that during  the closed loop period the..."ECM still constantly monitors the signal coming from the O2 sensor to see whether or not it is ready (hot enough) for closed loop mode." Which led me to testing the O2 sensors. They are supposed to show 30 ohms, mine showed 4.5 ohms. Maybe the ECM  couldn't identify they were there and refused to start. I will replace these and see where this goes.

I'll let you know how this turns out.
Chopper

• 2 months later...

Solution was found as to why this ej22 2.2L would not start.  Mechanics error: the fuel lines to the fuel rail were crossed.  Don't know how I did.....

The 1997 cams and rocker assemblies installed in the 1995 heads worked. The engine was running. Not well, but it did run. Still smoked oil. Thinking the oil rings are shot. I think this calls for a complete tear down and new rings.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Chopper

• Like 1