Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump continuous prime/primes when turned off.

so I bought an 89 gl that wasn't running for $200, he said it just needed the belts done.  Long story short it wasn't, and for some reason since day I I've had these symptoms 

1.fuel pump priming never stops

2. When I turn key to off the pump continue for what sounds like a prime cycle.. 2 second I believe? Idk its weird.

3.when I turn the key on the door chime dings ... but only for what I'm guessing is the length of the prime cycle then stops(fp doesn't).

Its stumbled a couple times but I haven't been able to get it started yet.  I dont have a budget I'm dirt poor.. this was an attempt to get on my feet I could really use a hand.

Edited by Montanamana

It's worth verifying that the test mode connectors are not connected...  Near the wind shield wiper motor, there are 2 one wire connector sets.  One set is green, one set is white.  They should NOT be connected for normal operation.

These cars can be inexpensive - IF you do all your own repairs, and you collect lots of spare parts.  Many parts are NLA from dealers or aftermarket.  I run 2 so I have transportation when one has a problem, as often, parts are not in stock anywhere...  Except what I have collected in my garage.

• Like 1

Also if the belts were done, or you did them, verify that when the crank mark is aligned that one can is at 12 o’clock and the other is a 6 o’clock. It doesn’t matter which is which, it just matter that both cams are 180* apart. 

And as Dave said for the fuel pump issue. In Australia our test connectors (green and black) are located above the driver’s feet behind the kick panel. 

Cheers 

Bennie

SPFi I assume?

Maybe someone confirm the door chime is not generated by any connection to ECU?

Similar time period might be common across timer circuits for all sorts of things

You are deductive for taking pump prime time and operation into account

Drop the ecu from underside of steering column to reveal fuel pump and ignition relays just above?

Look like anyone been doing their own fixes in their with odd colour or clean fresh looking insulting tape?

Now you parted with money, maybe call seller to see if he/she can add any further light, advise if they knew only belts, or were told?

Previous workshop contact?

Fuel pump remaining on all the time...

You mean IGN on, pump on until IGN off?

Really only a safety issue, not a running issue but evidence something is not as we would expect. The fuel pump relay may have been rigged directly to IGN on to fix an ecu or wiring fault.

Don't let stuff trick you unnecessarily

Basics....compression test each cylinder, IGN and fuel pump fuse pulled, acc pedal to floor each cylinder checked

On 5/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, Montanamana said:

so I bought an 89 gl that wasn't running for $200, he said it just needed the belts done.  Long story short it wasn't, and for some reason since day I I've had these symptoms 

1.fuel pump priming never stops

2. When I turn key to off the pump continue for what sounds like a prime cycle.. 2 second I believe? Idk its weird.

3.when I turn the key on the door chime dings ... but only for what I'm guessing is the length of the prime cycle then stops(fp doesn't).

Its stumbled a couple times but I haven't been able to get it started yet.  I dont have a budget I'm dirt poor.. this was an attempt to get on my feet I could really use a hand.

Where are you hearing this noise from? The fuel pump is under the car by the rear wheel well. If you are hearing something in the engine bay, its not the pump.

The chime you hear when you turn the key on is seatbelt. 

Just a thought.

Does the car have an auto antenna? If the key is on and you turn the radio on, it goes up. When you turn the key or radio off, it lowers.

If it is defective and slips, when you turn the key off, it will run a few seconds with the radio on or off.

3 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

XT is a whole different body. DL/GL have manual retracting antenna on the a-pillar. XT has it on the rear fender.

JDM GT wagon had auto antenna. Not likely that you have one of these but it is something that exists on the L body ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

You may have a faulty fuel pump ...(?)

You may have a faulty fuel pump relay...(?)

You may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator ...(?)

I would check to make sure there is fuel getting to the engine.