Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locking AWD center into DR box?

No. You need an EJ AWD dual range to do this. 

The PT4wd dual range has a pinion shaft where the lower gears mount to the shaft. 

The AWD locking centre box is the design prior to the EJ AWD box and uses the same lower gearset setup where they’re mounted on a tube that the pinion shaft lives in. The EA AWD pinion shaft is much much longer than the EJ pinion shaft. 

The catch in the US is the lack of EJ dual range boxes available thanks to your taxation system effectively phasing them out in the EJ series vehicles (from what I understand). 

In Oz and other markets the dual range box was produced for another decade and a bit. I’m not up with when/if they canned it in the later models. 

In my L series I have the locking centre diff in a “bitza box” - phase two EJ dual range cases with matching drive gears (these don’t fit in a phase 1 box without mods rocks the reverse gears), L series 1.59:1 low range, custom 4.111:1 diff ratio on the locking centre diff pinion shaft. I’ve added oil “feeders” over the low range gears to help keep them cool and to lubricate them on hill climbs. 

It can be done, but you need that dual range EJ gearset from the phase 1 box, these are interchangeable into the EA cases. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Bennie, by phase 2 I assume you're referring to the engine - ie. an EJ202 instead of a EJ20J (for example) ? Which is anything post 1999 up to an unknown date.

So, a phase 2 EJ box will take the L-series 5 speed bits to make your bitza box.

Have you tried an EA (standard 5 speed L series non-AWD) box (which is what our Floridian friend is trying to achieve), and added a phase 1 (1989-1997) EJ gearset to the rest of the EA box ? Assuming it all fits, what parts are required from the EJ phase 1 box ? (it would have to be cheaper than sending an entire box o/s ?).

Thanks!

Dean.

To send bits for this OS, you’d need the EJ phase one gearbox’s internals - minus the centre diff housing, pinion shaft and front diff. 

Typically you move the selection forks with the gearsets. 

The EJ low range can be left behind - the PT4wd L series 1.59:1 low range can be fitted with a few mods - namely the low range hub that sits on the front of the upper gearset. Input bearing mods won’t be required as the L series one will be kept. 

In essence, the phase 1 (4 bolt gearbox) drive gears and reverse is what needs to be sent if using a dual range EA front case set. Heavy, but not as bulky as a gearbox or a gearbox minus the rear cases/housings (centre diff and rear transfer). 

Break a gear and you’re back to square one. 

Cheers 

Bennie