Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 1985 GL wagon power to manual steering questions

Hi all, question, I have a 85 ea82 Subaru GL wagon 4wd 5 speed manual dual range. Rack is leaking badly, was looking to rebuild or replace but I found a manual rack for a good deal. I personally dont mind manual steering, also I drive/live on the farm and on dirt roads everyday. The only pavement driving is literally the highway in to town to change water lines on the hay fields and then I would say it's only about 30% of my driving. I like the idea of having a sealed rack with less to go wrong on. My only question is  can the joints be modified to fit easily  or am I better off finding the right steering shaft? I know the u joint attachment is differnt between the racks I just haven't seen the specific types of joints. 

Thanks all for your knowledge and advice! 

I reckon on dirt you’re better with power steering - gives you better reaction time through less effort required to turn the steering wheel. 

If you can’t get the steering knuckle setup with the rack you’re best off to steer clear in my book. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Ah so they have differnt steering knuckles too huh? I didnt find that info anywhere online, I found a remanned rack with rod ends for about 200 shipped so I think I'll stay with power for ease of changing it out and less down time, I daily this car so thanks again for sending me down the right road. 

22 hours ago, Turkeyberry said:

My only question is  can the joints be modified to fit easily  or am I better off finding the right steering shaft? I know the u joint attachment is differnt between the racks I just haven't seen the specific types of joints. 

Dude it bolts right up, there's nothing to it.  Get the ujoint, tie rod ends, and mounts/bushings....I don't know if they're different but have them just in case if it's coming from a parts car.  You could compare part numbers from Subaru to see if each of those parts are the same or not. 

Sorry, I must have confused the BRAT stuff. 

Its been a good decade since converting the L to power steering and I thought I recalled needing a different knuckle setup to mate the rack to the column. Everything else was a direct bolt in.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo