Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sjr vs ADF Lift Kits for GL/Loyale

Hello all,

I'm new here but have read this somewhere on here but for the life of me can't find it again. Im just starting my GL build, found an 89'GL 5 spd D/R with fuel injection and am planning on the 4" body lift. I am considering SJRs kit and ADFs. Currently ADFs is cheaper and I like that it's powder coated but otherwise appears the same. Could someone explain the difference in kits or if I'll be missing out on something by not going with SJRs?

Thanks

Should be pretty similar. I've installed kits from both guys, and they both make good stuff. SJR has been around longer, and been a long time contributor to the community to help develop some of these modifications. I also really like that many of his components are cast aluminum.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight, it did look like the strut spacers were Alu but didn't say in his description, that is cool. I saw ADF has a 2-3 week lead time is SJR similar? Or does he usually have a couple kits in stock? I'm in no hurry but was curious. 

I saw from Loyale 2.7 ( and is stated on ADFs and SJRs pages) that you need to handle radiator hoses, steering joint, and some shifting linkage mods. Since you've done this a time or two apparently is there anything else to worry about?

Thanks

15 hours ago, 89GLWarWGN said:

Thanks for the insight, it did look like the strut spacers were Alu but didn't say in his description, that is cool. I saw ADF has a 2-3 week lead time is SJR similar? Or does he usually have a couple kits in stock? I'm in no hurry but was curious. 

I saw from Loyale 2.7 ( and is stated on ADFs and SJRs pages) that you need to handle radiator hoses, steering joint, and some shifting linkage mods. Since you've done this a time or two apparently is there anything else to worry about?

Thanks

You will encounter things. Hoses and wiring in the engine bay will be effected. I don't remember exactly (Probably been 10 years since my last EA82 lift, and most were already modified to some extent). Engine and transmission will be lowered from the body by 2-3" so stuff happens, can't always predict it, you'll just have to be creative.

SJR is @Scott in Bellingham, maybe he'll chime in. Or send him a message (here or elsewhere. He's pretty active on Facebook).

Pitch stopper won't fit anymore. Can be modified. I left it off a couple cars and didn't notice any difference :drunk:

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Speedo cable will need extending for a four inch lift. I had to extend mine for a three inch lift - lucky mine came with a free L series soo had that part with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Just reroute it under the pitch stopper. Didn't have any trouble on any of mine.

in my opinnion sjr would have a better understanding of the older rigs i seen post after post of his stuff on ea81s and ea82s with nothing but good sead about his suff and hes been on here for a long time posting builds and answering questions

adf i feel is more ej oriented

i personaly never did buisness with ether so i can only offer my opinion

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Just reroute it under the pitch stopper. Didn't have any trouble on any of mine.

Must be a right hand drive issue then, which makes sense since the speedo drive comes out on the right hand side of the gearbox, so our Speedo cable does a direct route that hugs the firewall. 

Cheers 

Bennie

SJR is a lot better in my opinion, plus you're really supporting a guy that is a big part of this community and has helped make a lot of these mods possible.  I have a 1983 that I put the 4 inch SJR lift on, I had to install longer brake lines up front, and extend the pitch stop and steering shaft.  Did not have to do anything with the Speedo cable but no one else besides me it seems had to extend brake lines so it seems everyone's is a little different.  It does not come with instructions though but if you spend a little time its fairly easy to find out what goes where.  Good luck with the lift I love mine!  Next up is the EJ swap.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the insight, I love the support for this community and I know i wouldn't have known the first place to start with my build, lifts, 6 lug conversion, shoot i didn't know Subaru made a dual range transmission till i started reading USMB stuff and to top it all off i wouldn't have known ADF was an option without this place so i think you all have convinced me to maybe spend a tad more but support this crazy group that dares to make soccer mom, grocery fetching, car seat fitting wagons into four wheelin machines! Love it!

SJR

no other letters needed. 

besides , when the other guys came in the scene they were a little oh , breast beating ... obnoxious , and probably a few other descriptives. But hey we were all young once. 

Scott is cool and nobody ever talks crap about his work. 

I should apologize. It wasn’t the ADF guys it was Alied Armaments I was referring to. 

Yeah , Scott has been alongside the USMB so long it’s pretty much a given we older folks are going to point to him first. 

• Like 2