Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new axles but I still have noise

1987 GL hatch The suspension have been complete updated with new stock parts. but as I take off there is loud noise like a bad axle drivers side. it goes away completely at 20mph I did not do the work on the car when I asked the PO he said he replaced the axles and they looks little long when he installed so he compated to the old ones and they where the same. Could the noice be from soming else? Drive line? 

Edited by ejnight

1 hour ago, ejnight said:

there is loud noise like a bad axle drivers side

What kind of noise ? grinding ? clicking? squealing ? 

once ? continuous ?

Could the noise be from something else? Drive line?

anything's possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dee2 said:

What kind of noise ? grinding ? clicking? squealing ? 

once ? continuous ? 

Its a Clicking noise just like a CVC axle being bad. 

17 hours ago, Dee2 said:

anything's possible.

Clicking noise is a sure sign of a bad axle joint.  If they are new, then perhaps they weren't torqued down properly.  Sometimes, after driving for a while, they need to be re-torqued.

I would check to make sure the torque is correct.  Sometimes they have to be slightly over torqued. 

• Like 1

Its a Clicking noise just like a CVC axle being bad. 

axle.  "new" are frequently garbage. 

you can try swapping axles side-to-side as a test and see if the noise changes or "moves" with the axle. 

brake dust shield rubbing or caught debris can cause clicking as well.  check disk/rotor/pad interfaces for debris, hanging, etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

axle.  "new" are frequently garbage. 

you can try swapping axles side-to-side as a test and see if the noise changes or "moves" with the axle. 

brake dust shield rubbing or caught debris can cause clicking as well.  check disk/rotor/pad interfaces for debris, hanging, etc. 

I was thinking the same as he told me he got them at Rock auto 

i cant tell you how many brand new axles ive got that had no greese in them at all none they clicked out of the box in the store ive litteraly opened the box twisted them by hand and gave them back to the guy at the counter and told him send it back its junk im not installing that in my car even went round and round with upper managment as the bad axles there trying to give me were replacement for axles that failed the store refused to reorder saying this one is brand new then i peeled it open and it had no greese they ordered me a new axle

your best bet if you cant find a good used oem axle is to buy some quality silicone boots and greese and reboot the new aftermarket axle before it goes in to the car it will last alot longer

one of my first jobs was rebuilding cv axles for pepboys ive rebuild more than my share of axles

Edited by ferp420
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ferp420 said:

i cant tell you how many brand new axles ive got that had no greese in them at all

That's a good point - Gloyale (previous user name) works on subaru's every week and says he regreases all aftermarket axles as a rule of thumb.  That's not their only issue, but he said they're lacking and/or the grease is low grade.  

• Like 1

Aftermarket axles are a miss and hit. I have had reasonable luck with front axles from Advance and Autozone, but am having issues with new AZ axles now. I initially replaced both fronts on my Brat and they were fantastic. No shakes, noise or vibrations. This was about a month ago. However, I have done a lot of work on the Brat and must have put a hole in the outer boot of the right front axle. AZ ordered me a new one that I installed the day before yesterday. Now my car shakes. So I called them yesterday and they were real nice and ordered me another one. Will see how it goes. I wish I had just rebooted the initial new AZ axle instead of exchanging it for a new one. Once I dial these in, I should periodically regrease/reboot them in the future rather than replace them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ejnight said:

anyone have a set of oems?  also when looking for new ones I find different lengths listed for the same car. does anyone know the right length for 87 GL hatch? 

i have lots of pieces to oem axles lol but at this point there basicly unobtainium

any one who has them no dought nows what they have already and just wont let go of them unless they just sold the car and arent doing any more ea8* rigs anymore

• Sad 1