Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Once again!!! MMO vs. ATF?

I just have to love this noisy lifter dilemma and all the reasonable alternatives for remedies. I personally have seen the ATF added to crank and run heavily for 20 or so minutes and it worked in my instance. After reading about the MMO and my Husband says it is nothing more than ATF with other smell added.......? Well, I just checked the 'Material Safety Data Sheets' for both MMO and ATF, the only ones that match somewhat are MMO and ATF Type F. Are NOT all auto trans fluid the same? Is MMO the same as ATF Type F? Please some one out there with Chemistry background check this out as well? Still searching for truth. http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu

Linda

i personally like oil in my crankcase. or at least stuff that is designed for engine oil. i have heard of peepl using kerosine, and brake fluid too. mmo is cheap enough, and if you use it after seafoam, and an oil change, its about as good as it gets.