Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELLA Headlight.... BRAT Gen 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you are right.... I shall check ASAP..

The car is not at home, so I have to wait.

But if I can receive the information here, I can give them immediately back to the supplier.

Edited by Marc556

Are these fully sealed units or semi sealed? 

I’m after a pair of low/hi and the dedicated hi beam lights that are semi sealed. And I’d like the dedicated hi beams to be a spot light lense - clear without any ripples or patterns in the glass lens. 

Cheers 

Bennie

LEDs for headlights can go jump. They’re far too blue. 

And before you get on the it’s a better light bandwagon, it’s a very unstable wave variety of light. This means glare to incoming vehicles and less light returned to the driver to see what’s ahead of them. 

HIDs fall into this same category. I don’t care about current usage, I just want good reliable lighting that’s inexpensive to replace globes in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

A DOT approved, well designed and adjusted LED is fine. I have factory LED lamps (low's, fogs and the brake lamp) on my Nissan Titan Pro-4X and they are very good. I have the Hella's on the Brat and my goal is to add relays as soon as I receive my terminals. My Hella driving lights are on a relay and plenty bright, but the low and high beams at this point are mediocre. I expect an improvement after the relay upgrade. All remaining external lamps including the turn's on my Brat are Sylvania LED's. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, el_freddo said:

LEDs for headlights can go jump. They’re far too blue. 

And before you get on the it’s a better light bandwagon, it’s a very unstable wave variety of light. This means glare to incoming vehicles and less light returned to the driver to see what’s ahead of them. 

HIDs fall into this same category. I don’t care about current usage, I just want good reliable lighting that’s inexpensive to replace globes in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Not true anymore. That's old information. The new LED sealed beam replacements are DOT approved complete housings with integrated LED's that are designed specifically to have correct beam geometry. I have a set of the newest style in my Trans Am and they rock. Also really cheap now. About $65 for the set and they aren't glass so no more rock chip cracks or holes, and the elements last basically forever.  

GD

• Like 1

Rather than start a new thread, adding to this one. Other than a crimper for open barrel terminals (to construct my own relay sockets), I have the necessary parts for upgrading the wiring of the Hella headlamps on the Brat. My plan is to use 2X Bosch relays with dual #87 terminals. I plan to run relay triggers (#86) from the dimmer switch inside the cab for the lo/Hi and Hi lamps. Question about the ground trigger (#85) on the relays - do I run dual grounds (2X each for the Hi/Low and Hi) from the lamps to terminal 85, after cutting the ground returns from the lamps back to the switch? This means the grounds will not be feeding back to the headlamp switch???? The remaining connections are fine, i.e. fused power from battery to #30 and power out via dual 87 terminals to the lights. TIA.