Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86GL EJ25 Swap

910GL

On 5/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, el_freddo said:

To pull the EJ22 from my L series, I pull the fans out first, then the radiator then the engine.

And yeah, I was able to do this as well with the EJ25. Juuuust enough room to slide the radiator in, and then install the fans. Didn't have to notch the frame so that's a plus!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So an update after 5 days straight of trying to get this thing put back together...

The motor would crank and run, but wouldn't rev past 3200 rpm or so... and after a few seconds just studder and die. I spent HOURS maticulously changing every old crusty vacuum line, checking and double checking the airbox for cracks, and cleaned the MAF because it felt like it was running super lean. My next step was going to pull the throttle body off and clean it - thinking maybe it was getting stuck partially open, but then I had an epiphany...

So the car was carbed before, so when collecting parts for the swap I ordered an aftermarket EFI fuel pump for a GL from Rock Auto (yes I swapped all of the rubber fuel line sections for FI grade all the way from the tank to the motor). I got it in the mail, put it in temporarily for testing and threw the box away (I'm an idiot). After looking, I can only assume that Rock Auto sent me the carb fuel pump (the dumb thing doesn't even have the part # stamped on it)... so after two days of troubleshooting vacuum leaks it was the fuel pump! So it's either the wrong pump... just a bad one... or I fried it somehow... I just know for sure that it wasn't supplying enough fuel and/or enough pressure. After doing research on here, I noticed a bunch of folks were running inline fuel pumps from early Ford F-Series vehicles from NAPA. Well, our local NAPA wasn't any help in getting one so I found one with similar specs from O'Reilly - think its rated at 40-50gph at 80psi... Tossed it on and VOILA, motor runs like a top!

Also, during all of my testing I had all of the dash removed except for the gauge cluster and could not figure out why my alternator wasn't charging my battery... Some more USMB research and I found out that the charge light has to be connected to complete the circuit... and the charge light in my car is on a secondary light panel just below the gauge cluster... plugged in that section of indicator lights and another VOILA, battery is charging... however, my fusible links started roasting. I had spliced in my EJ alt wires directly in to probably the last 6" of EA wires going in to the fusible links. I'm going to swing by O'Reilly on my way home and just grab all new 8 or 10 ga. wire and some new fusible link wire and replace it all.

Whats left:

- Brazing the new EJ A/C compressor-side fittings onto my EA A/C lines
- Connecting the ECU A/C wires into my A/C Switch and A/C Relay on the car
- Making some brackets to hold my temporary power steering lines away from my axle (still need some stock EA82 3rd gen power steering lines... Check my "Wanted" ad here on the forum if you have some!)
- Permanently mount my ECU and main/fuel pump relay
- Weld my exhaust together - sucks because I had made an entire new 2" exhaust for the EA82 a couple years ago, but now I want to go bigger for the EJ (2.25"). So I made the front section with 2.25" with a reducer to 2" so I have the option of swapping out the rear with a 2.25" setup later without having to mess with the headers or the new front pipe I made up
- Wire up and install my new quad-headlight setup
- etc etc etc...

Edited by 910GL
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

Two inches is fine for your 2.5.  That EJ-turbo header you installed already killed any additional power you would have made from the exhaust.

Good deal. I'm not really after additional power with the exhaust work, just tone.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, cartwheels said:

Any updates? And what’s the part number for that fuel pump you got?

Not too much progress since my last post. I haven't finished the A/C, so it pretty much had to relax in the garage all summer and I've driven my Forester.

I drove it to work and back the last 3 days now that it's starting to cool off and it's been running great; although I've been babying it with all the new parts and trying to get the clutch broken in. One thing I've noticed is that it warms up and gets to operating temp super quick with the single row EA radiator, but as soon as the ECU turns on the first 11" fan, it stays right at this temp. The temp drops when driving and the fan will cut off, but at idle it pretty much runs constantly. The second fan has yet to come on, but I don't have the A/C hooked up yet either. Ran two mechanical gauges for oil pressure and water temp, it the temp shows about 195° when the first fan turns on and that's pretty much where it stays.

So I wouldn't recommend that fuel pump to be quite honest. It is annoyingly loud. I can hear it whining inside and outside the car while it's running and it drives me nuts. It is also overkill pressure-wise, but here is the link to it (I *think* this is the one):

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/precision-fuel-pumps-4492/performance-16477/fuel-system-16571/fuel-pumps---electric---universal-17799/22d5b8966e1f/precision-55-to-65-gph-electric-fuel-pump/e16135/5354887

I actually ordered a replacement Walbro fuel pump which I ordered in June but was back-ordered on Summit and didn't come until late August. I haven't gotten around to swapping it out yet, but from what I've found, this may be the closest match (pressure and flow rate) for a universal external pump when compared to the stock internal pump on the Legacy donor car.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-F30000271

That's about all I got for now... Next things on my list are mounting my ECU (putting it in the glove box... It's just kind of laying in the passenger floor board atm), get the AC done, and then get my quad headlight assembly installed and body work at some point...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So I got really busy and haven't made any further progress... Driven it a few times to work and back over the past few months and the tranny hasn't grenaded (yet)... So far so good.

I've had some issues with my DD (04 Forester) so thats taken up most of my wrenching time. Hoping to get some stuff done in the coming weeks.