Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl runs great then dies after short run time

Hi,new to this forum,n hoping I can get much needed help****I have picked up 84 GL body's good, motor runs good,but after short time she cuts off...then will restart n do same thing,changed electric fuel pump as it wasn't working consistent,fires over runs good then turns off after gets operating temp?....????no one local can figure it out.****cars in new Mexico, my lil rat patrol car..any help be grateful...1984 gl wagon 4wd .200.000 mile club...plugs all clean,getting gas,even put glass see through filter on it so I know she's pumping..there getting hard to find the 80s ones,don't see many no more..wanna keep mine going..

Edited by Scott84

Thanks,I,ll look,that be on exhaust below altenator etc on exhaust..**guess 84 was last year ea81 n it's 4 speed so don't know if has hydraulic lifters or not...been on learning curve w this car,hope to get it to be my fly-fishing n fishing transportation off road,so trying to learn .the crazy electrical scares me more than mechanical..been c10 Chevy guy over 30 yes.. & alot 60,s cars since I'm older guy..thought these be neat lil camping fishing rig,compared to a lil atv...thank u for any help...

It has solid lifters if it's the original engine. 

Then this shouldn't be too much different than the CCC Quadrajet GM used all through the 80's.... assuming it's the model with the feedback carb. The O2 sensor can go bad and cause a stall situation with the computer controlled carb models. Also could be a bad coolant temp sensor for the computer - again if it's equipped with feedback. 

GD

Thanks just learning this car, bought basic Chilton to read n learn local of stuff..,Sad cause runs nice n even w no tune-up & new cap rotor plugs,n valve adjustmebt,should be good for my needs if so on them sensors, I bet the old guy I bought from never changed them,..was used as lil ranch vehicle in new Mexico..that metallic blue gl 4wd wagon...has all 5 wagon wheels n orig everything I'd say..

That is good ? Think I checked that, but what if doesn't? Distributor? I heard there's a pickup eye in there?.just trying to learn the car. It's different than 65" c10 Chevy haha. Cool lil motor I must say, like to get it rebuilt n gone through eventually..thanks for reply boss.  

No pick up eye optical in these babies.

Should find a 2 pin module in there, common to a few Japanese cars of the day. As these $40 items fail, they sometimes display symptoms you describe

Philips screwdriver for its two retaining screws, two six inch long in total flat blade screwdrivers to gently lever the four lobe thing off shaft watching the little roll pin located between it and the flat of shaft, lift out old, in with new.

Here in Australia we could buy an EA81 4 speed Brumby up until 1994, though last make date was 1992 as far as I know. The OHC EA82 went on sale late 84? Or early 85

Then 1989 the EJ Liberty on the market, so Fuji were producing EA81, EA82 and EJ22 powered models all three body shapes simultaneously for a three year period.

Then there were the Justy , Fiori, Sherpa two and four cylinders, then flat six SVX ! All in 1992 I think

Edited by Step-a-toe

You mean the internal coil? Inside distributor? Guess magnet n pickups inside casing?..,***cars dying after warms up...no overheating just cuts out..cools it starts...I'm new to this car And wanna keep it as 4x4 trout fishing n camping mobile .thanks for everyone's replies... appreciate it.. 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Step-a-toe said:

No pick up eye optical in these babies.

Should find a 2 pin module in there, common to a few Japanese cars of the day. As these $40 items fail, they sometimes display symptoms you describe

Philips screwdriver for its two retaining screws, two six inch long in total flat blade screwdrivers to gently lever the four lobe thing off shaft watching the little roll pin located between it and the flat of shaft, lift out old, in with new.

Here in Australia we could buy an EA81 4 speed Brumby up until 1994, though last make date was 1992 as far as I know. The OHC EA82 went on sale late 84? Or early 85

Then 1989 the EJ Liberty on the market, so Fuji were producing EA81, EA82 and EJ22 powered models all three body shapes simultaneously for a three year period.

Then there were the Justy , Fiori, Sherpa two and four cylinders, then flat six SVX ! All in 1992 I think

Found the module you spoke of, has 2 make pins coming off black unit...was only $11 us dollars, picked it up just to be safe n have a extra handy...don't think much was done to the car,work wise,all original from what I'm seeing, even the dead pack rats in the air vent...I,ll check O2 sensor n temp coolant sensor if has it n see what happens...thank u all so much... 

• Like 1