Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phase 1 phase 2 what can I do to get my daughter on the road 99 outback vs 97 outback

They are the same and both are Phase I with the exception of the block case halves themselves on the 99. The only difference for you will be the 8 bolt vs. 4 bolt bell housing. Not an issue you will just leave out the 4 extra bolts that are not used with the 97 transmission. You will also want to use the 99's intake manifold which is a direct swap. 

GD

• Like 1

Entire 97 intake manifold bolts right on top of the 99. Easy. There’s nothing to it.

Ideally install a new Subaru timing belt and lower coffee idler pulley. Broken timing belt or seized pulley means bent valves on that engine, usually a majority of them. The belt and that lower pulley ($30 from Subaru) are by far the most likely to fail.

When towing on a dolly it’ll stress the rear clutch packs inside the rear of the AT.  That rear extension housing (namely the Duty C, clutches and basket / which are all replaceable without dropping the trans) are worth saving if you’re the type to save parts for future repairs, in case you have torque bind. Which is common enough to keep parts for.

Tow it with the engine on and FWD fuse installed.  That should release all the pressure from the rear plates. It always worked for me.

As another option, could you swap the 97 trans into the 99?

• 2 weeks later...