Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ac issues 96 legacy outback 2.2

hey guys hopefully this is the right place to post this. So I have a 96 legacy outback 2.2 and the ac doesn't work.  I know it needs the belt since its not kn the compressor, but I'm trying to figure out what else I need to replace. I checked  the underhood fuse box and found the fuse for the ac blown. I replaced it with a 10amp and the 2nd fan kicked on. The pully on the comis super loose and seems to not engage when the ac is "turned on" I found the main plug that has 3 wires going to it kn the top of the compressor and tried to check the wires for power. No such luck. Does anyone have a diagram of what one should send power to actithe clutch and also where the relay for the clutch is located. Picture's help as well. Its suposed to hit the mid 90s here next week and trying to get the ac functioning so my newborn is comfortable.  Thank you in advance!

8 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Post a video of this "loose" component. There's more to the system than power. Sounds like the belt was removed for reasons. Likely you will find out the reasons shortly.

GD

Even when the ac button is pressed and illuminated on the climate it does not change the pully tension

1 hour ago, forester2002s said:

Low on refrigerant?

If so, clutch won't engage until the refrigerant pressure is higher.

I haven't checked the refrigerant level, i just kinda figured with how much movement there is that the compressor may need replaced 

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Post a video of this "loose" component. There's more to the system than power. Sounds like the belt was removed for reasons. Likely you will find out the reasons shortly.

GD

Even when the ac button is pressed and illuminated on the climate it does not change the pully tension

That clicking noise does not sound good. The part you are turning is the clutch and it mounts on a splined shaft to run the compressor. It sounds like the splines are worn or something is loose inside the compressor. The pulley runs on a bearing and should not wobble.

There is a coil mounted inside the pully that when voltage is applied will pull the clutch in and make contact with a flat surface on the front of the pulley. With the fuse being blown, that coil may be shorted.

If the system is low on Freon there is a pressure switch that will not allow voltage to get to the coil for the clutch.

I would replace the compressor and add a little of the proper PAG oil, pump the system to a vacuum and then charge the system with Freon. When you start adding Freon the pressure switch will activate and the clutch will pull in and run the compressor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

I think there are two styles of 90s compressors, so make sure you get the one you need. 

I assume shipping is too expensive but I have a 90s EJ22 compressor, $15 and it’s yours if you’re around Ohio or Maryland area.

I'm all the way up in the northwest  thank you though!