Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL Transmission Shift Shaft Seal(s?)

Hi Folks - you've all been stellar helping out with my '87 rebuild. Good news in she's running again, like a sewing machine compared to the last go around.

Bad news is that now that I've been able to get things moving again, i've found an oil leak out of the rear transmission seals. (All of them.)

My question however, is this - It appears there two shift shaft seals on the dual-range 5MT transmission (one for the gears, another for the 4wd, i presume). Are their respective seals the same part numbers? (Cruising RockAuto and hoping I can just grab two of them from there, but they don't have a distinction between the seals). The output seal seems okay-ish but what I assume to be the shift seals are dripping wet and sit straight over my exhaust. They're leaking so constantly I'm wondering if i'll pass emissions this way.

I was still able to get all of the external seals from the dealer a few years ago when I did my build. Make sure to have someone lookup the right part numbers before you ask. Lots of dealer parts departments don't seem to have any interest looking up a $5.00 seal for a 30 year old car LOL.

Gear Selector shaft seal: 806718040 or 806718100 <- same number up to 2003 (and possibly longer).

These two will probably be the hard ones to find - 4wd lever seals: 

Rear plate seal: 33194AA000 or 33194AA001 

leading (front) side transfer case 4wd lever arm to low range selector arm: 33193AA000 

Tailshaft output seal: 806735070 or 806735210 <- same number up to 2003 and possibly longer. 

I hope that helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those part numbers appear to be what i'm looking for, thanks freddo! Tried emissions with the drip, no one said a word. 

Any chance that this is something I can do without yanking the trans or engine? I literally JUST put everything back together <_<. It looks like i can just put her up on stands, pop the driveshaft and exhaust out of the way and pull the seals in question. 

It might be do able..   I've pulled a seal in a similar location by using a pointy sheet metal screw.  Get the screw part way into the seal, pry it out.  Might need 2 or 3 for angles to work it out.