Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to know what models will interchange with 05 baja!

Howdy. I am needing to replace the front struts on my recently purchased (after saving for over a year) 05 baha sport. Local auto parts stores dont carry the front struts! And I'd like to get the full strut assembly, to save my frustration level, time and worn out body. Being a female shade tree machanic  (lol) doesn't have the appeal at 63 as it did at 33! I'm confused when trying to research because some say the legacy will interchange but according to O'Riellys the outback interchanges with the baja (2000 - 2004 outback with 2003 -2006 Baja) and yes I know there are legacy outbacks and Impreza putbacks. I previously owned an Impreza outback sport. And the front end took a dive on it as well. I'm hoping to advert a repeat with my Baja, I just love this little wanna be truck! Any help or direction sincerely appreciated! 

Edited by Nita
Deleted word in heading

They are different and you can't interchange any other model. You have to buy them directly from Subaru. That is the only source if you want them to be the correct part. Run the parts through parts.subaru.com if you are curious. I've been through this many times and the Baja is a red headed step child of a car that uses quite a few parts that are entirely unique to it's chassis. 

Subaru doesn't sell full strut assemblies. You will have to be ready with spring compressors. And you should get new strut tops while you are at it. They are often bad or worn. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Legacy struts are the same as outback except they won’t clear the larger outback tires so you can’t use legacy struts on outbacks unless you change tire size.

Buy Subaru or KYB struts and take your new struts and old strut assemblies to a shop and they’ll swap struts for you for cheap. Very common practice.

In addition to not having the right part if GD is right, the quick struts are usually garbage.  Float and drive terrible, the top hats are like rubber balloons and can deflect enormously (they push out the top Like if viewing the strut top with the engine open) or they break. I’ve seen brand new ones break in less than a week.

Ignoring turbos/performance people, almost everyone in subaru world uses Subaru or KYB, that’s it. I do all my own work and trusts. struts are the one thing best left to a shop. But like I said do all of it yourself and take the new and old parts to a shop and they’ll swap them out.

Why don’t outback struts work on bajas?

i have baja turbo springs on the rear of my 02 outback and thought the struts were interchangeable between 00-04 outbacks and bajas.  I’m not sure why fronts would be different but I’d assume baja and 00-04 outback KYB struts to be the same. If they’re listed as such by a reputable company like KYB, or well known distributor, then I would guess they’ll fit and work great.  I’m sure it’s been looked into, a quick google should answer it. Or read the reviews of sites selling struts and see if people mention their baja on the 00-04 outback struts. 

one comment on another forum said baja front struts will lift an outback 1.5 inches, so i guess outback struts are a little shorter and would lower a baja. 

people also install baja turbo springs in 00-04 outbacks to stiffen and slightly lift them, usually in the rear but fronts have been talked about and done too. 

so there's a chance you could install Outback struts with Baja turbo front springs (the rear turbo baja springs were dirty cheap like $30 or something when I installed them on my outack).  the outback strut will be shorter but you'll make up some of it with the stiffer turbo springs.  that's probably what i'd look into doing. 

If you use Outback struts on a Baja you would have to likely get a lifting spring or you may have tire rubbing, etc. And lifting springs will adversely affect the down travel.....

They are reasonably priced from the dealer - like $149 each or something. They have plenty still. Just get the right part. It's not worth screwing around with stuff that isn't going to fit properly. I've been through this and we are ADF's official local installer. The best thing to do (for the moment) is to buy the correct parts from Subaru. 

GD

47 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If you use Outback struts on a Baja you would have to likely get a lifting spring or you may have tire rubbing, etc. And lifting springs will adversely affect the down travel.....

They are reasonably priced from the dealer - like $149 each or something. They have plenty still. Just get the right part. It's not worth screwing around with stuff that isn't going to fit properly. I've been through this and we are ADF's official local installer. The best thing to do (for the moment) is to buy the correct parts from Subaru. 

GD

Oh yeah do that.  I thought they were twice that price.  $149 MSPR, $105 right here:

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-strut-complete-front-right~20310ae44a.html