Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle Stutter When Brake Pedal Is Pressed

I’m finishing up the last few things on my EA82 SPFI swap (1986 GL 5MT) and am noticing a stutter at idle when the car is parked with the trans in Neutral and the brake pedal pressed and released. 

Initially I thought this was a vacuum leak, so I checked to make sure I have the booster hose on in the right direction, which it is, and that it holds vacuum, which I believe it does because I disconnected the hose after turning the engine off and it made a suction sound as if it was negatively pressurized. 

This only occurs when the brake pedal is pumped at idle, it’s not there if you rev the engine up a bit and then pump the pedal. The car runs fine otherwise. 

Any help or links to useful threads are appreciated!

It’s possibly the idle mechanism’s slow reaction to a change in vacuum. 

Otherwise to me, it points to a secondary vacuum leak that the SPFI system is able to deal with, and a brake booster issue. 

My initial thought was brake booster. Best to get a vacuum pump and give it a thorough test. 

Cheers 

Bennie

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

electrical power demand also increases as the brake lights come on - maybe pull their fuse or their bulbs to troubleshoot that idea?

This isn’t my issue because it doesn’t continue to stutter while the pedal is pressed, just when pumping it.

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

It’s possibly the idle mechanism’s slow reaction to a change in vacuum. 

Otherwise to me, it points to a secondary vacuum leak that the SPFI system is able to deal with, and a brake booster issue. 

My initial thought was brake booster. Best to get a vacuum pump and give it a thorough test. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That’s something I hadn’t thought of, just a slow reaction time... interesting. I’ve never noticed it in the other GLs I’ve encountered myself but sounds possible. 

A secondary leak sounds promising to me, but are you saying that’s only a possibility if I also have a bad booster? I may be misreading or misinterpreting what you said. 

On another note, took the car for a test drive just now. Went 11.8 miles (first real drive since the swap) with the only issue being what I can only presume is an intermittent fuel supply issue.

I was driving down a hill of a decent grade and think I may have moved around my fuel (had a little less than a half tank) enough to pick up some air or debris with my fuel pump, either starving the engine of fuel or clogging up my filters or injector momentarily. The car bogged down quite a bit, then idled fine but the rpms would drop when throttle was given. Limped home and the issue got less noticeable and eventually went away just before I got back.

Checked fluids just to make sure, and everything was good. Only code is a stored TPS code from the swap process that I haven’t cleared yet. 

The car was originally carbed, so it doesn’t have baffles in the tank and I haven’t installed a surge tank setup or dealt with that yet and I assume that might be the cause of my issue, but I’d like to know what others think of this as well. 

Edited by G3.Spiffy

• 1 year later...

@G3.Spiffy - sorry for not getting back to you earlier. 

The NA tank without baffles shouldn’t be an issue - I ran my NA MPFI with the carb tank for ages and only had a power lull at times, I think  it was the small return line. I never got to the bottom of that one as I swapped the tank out for an EFI unit and upgraded the return line when I went EJ. 

It could be a blocked filter. I doubt injectors would clear themselves up. 

You should sort out that TPS issue and get that out of the way. Also check your temp sensor for the ECU. If that’s out of whack it seems it can do some strange things from what I’ve read. @DaveT will be able to throw more light on the temp sensor info. 

Cheers 

Bennie