Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm possibly going to replace my rear wheel bearings in my 05 forester X. So far it looks like there are two options, tapered or ball bearings. From what I have read so far, it looks like subaru stopped producing the ball and now one can only get the tapered bearings. (my understanding is that they did this because tapered bearings take axial loads a lot better.) 

My question is, when looking on RockAuto, it appears you can get either the tapered or the ball, and it seems the ball bearing is a little longer in size. This apparent size difference will not affect the installation will it? I just want to make sure I get the right part. Also, not sure if it changes anything, but my subie has rear drum brakes and not rear disks. I assume the knuckle is the same but i am not sure.

(also, before anyone asks, I am aware i will need a press and I do have access to one) 

Tapered Timken P/N 513248 

Ball Timken P/N 511023 

I would get the part from Subaru. Correct part and better longevity and quality and the Subaru parts almost never fail in epic fashion like aftermarkets rarely do (but it’s a stranding event if it happens). 

use the press carefully, they can damage the hub which will ruin the new bearing. It’s generally recommended to use a tool like a hub tamer. that’s what i use but with care a press will work.

In the couple I’ve seen the bearings fail in about 20,000 miles if a press is used improperly. 

Drum brakes - perfect time to buy some used rear knuckles with disc brakes and convert to disc and that’ll replace bearings while you’re at it. 

Use NTN or NSK. Anyone still selling the ball bearing version is to be immediately avoided. Those were superseded due to high failure rate. 

Get all the seals from Subaru. 

Subaru has specifically disallowed use of a press as it can deform the bearing pocket. The only authorized bearing replacement method is the on-car screw press. You have a better than average chance of the knuckle being damaged and unrepairable if you attempt to use a hydraulic shop press. DO NOT do that. 

GD

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I would get the part from Subaru. Correct part and better longevity and quality and the Subaru parts almost never fail in epic fashion like aftermarkets rarely do (but it’s a stranding event if it happens). 

use the press carefully, they can damage the hub which will ruin the new bearing. It’s generally recommended to use a tool like a hub tamer. that’s what i use but with care a press will work.

In the couple I’ve seen the bearings fail in about 20,000 miles if a press is used improperly. 

Drum brakes - perfect time to buy some used rear knuckles with disc brakes and convert to disc and that’ll replace bearings while you’re at it. 

Okay gotchya. If i do the disk conversion, do i need to change the brake line as well? are there any other parts i need to change (besides new disks and pads obviously)

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Use NTN or NSK. Anyone still selling the ball bearing version is to be immediately avoided. Those were superseded due to high failure rate. 

Get all the seals from Subaru. 

Subaru has specifically disallowed use of a press as it can deform the bearing pocket. The only authorized bearing replacement method is the on-car screw press. You have a better than average chance of the knuckle being damaged and unrepairable if you attempt to use a hydraulic shop press. DO NOT do that. 

GD

Oh okay. im glad i asked then. Looks like ill just try the rear disk conversion method. That way i dont have to open up that rear knuckle

2 hours ago, Sapper 157 said:

Never mind, I did a little research and answered my own question about the hydraulic brake line. 

What model year range of vehicles will have the disk brake hub/knuckle that will fit my car?

what he said - get the entire rear knuckle assembly and brake parts for each side.  i'd get the ebrake cables too.  

i don't know the exact year cross overs - you can look up caliper and knuckle part numbers on subaru parts website and click on "what this fits" and it shows  you all the models applicable.  or use ebay or other online place and see their listings for parts...but sometimes those are less complete or overly generous in applicability if you're not discerning.

• Like 1